Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
dv6-7013cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got an old DV6 that I was fixing up for the grade school age kids to use. I cloned the HDD to an SSD and intended to wipe to new after installing it. (The RAM had already been upgraded years ago.) I cloned the drive using this laptop and can verify that everything was working properly, albeit quite slowly, before the upgrade.

I powered on after swapping the SSD into the laptop and was met with a blank screen and blinking light code. The WiFi key is a constant amber while the caps lock key repeated blinks (the complete cycle is about 1.2 seconds). I've tried reinstalling the original HDD, testing different RAM (verified to be working), clearing CMOS, restoring the BIOS. Nothing I've tried so far has been any help.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix? Is this even reparable? I'll probably end up getting a low end Chromebook to replace it if this can't be resolved, but this is quite annoying. Thanks for any answers anybody can provide.

Background: I work in IT and took the same precautions with this project as I would with a laptop for work. I have very little experience with HP laptops since we mostly deal with business grade Dell/Lenovo/etc.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is there a sequence to the flashing 

Example

3 flashes pause 3 flashes

Let us know,

David

HP Recommended

No, there is no pause. It blinks repeatedly. After power button is pressed, there is no blinking for 7-8 seconds before starting at a steady rate. Timing it for 1 minute gives the 7-8 second pause followed by 44 blinks at a constant rate. The blinking continued in the same manner after I stopped timing it. The same happens whether it's running on battery, power cord with battery, and power cord without battery. The power light is solid the entire time it is plugged in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.