Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Hi. A friend of mine has a HP laptop model 15-t010wm. He says that after clicking on an option from a windows 10 update that says "update then reset" his laptop started having the reboot loop. Every time he logs and it loads, he's able to reach the desktop window but after a few minutes (like less than 5mins) the whole screen freezes then it automatically reboots and loads up again. I've tried system recovery from a previous date but it says that I can't as there was an error. An option pops up to try to fix the error... Seems to work as I got to system recovery it to a previous date but problem still persist. I've done a so called PC refresh but fails. I've tried letting it diagnose the system for errors, fails again. I've also tried the command prompt with chkdsk, still problem persists to annoy me and my friend. I've read a solution of turning off the auto reboot but can't seem to have the time to do it as it reboots in less than 5mins it starts loading at the desktop screen. Can someone please help out? I do wonder if it is a ram problem but don't think it is as it only occurred after a windows 10 update. I hope a solution can be brought up. Thank you for your time.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@anidisspit

Thank you for the update,

It's good to know that the hardware tests have passed, 

This confirms that it's a software issue and not a hardware failure,

I recommend you perform a full system recovery to set the computer back to the factory defaults,

I see that you've done a system restore(recovery) to an earlier date but that only reverts certain settings, unlike the recovery that removes all data and resets the computer.

Here's a link that should help you find the details on how to get started: Click here

If this has been done and yet the issue persists,

the only other thing you could do is to utilize the recovery media that you may have created shortly after you purchased your computer,

If you haven't created one, please order one online using the Official HP website for software and downloads: Click here

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@anidisspit

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the computer is constantly rebooting with the automatic repair screen,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Although, I need a few details to provide an accurate solution:

Was the update process interrupted?

When was the last time it worked (date)?

Have you attempted any steps of your own to solve the issue?

In the meantime, please attempt the below steps:

Perform a hard reset

Attempt a BIOS recovery

Run the System Diagnostics tests

For more steps, click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you. 
If they did, that’s awesome! 
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Details:

The update wasn't interrupted.

For the date of when it last worked, my friend couldn't remember but I think it was around the end of September or early October.

For the steps that I've tried, I've tried using safe mode but it gets stuck on a black screen with the HP logo for hours. Safe mode with and without network. I accessed to open it with safe mode through the command prompt. I've tried your suggestions except the BIOS one as I don't think its that one.

I've tried running the computer with the network WiFi not working hoping that other apps wouldn't load or a windows update (if any) wouldn't be able to download and auto reboot the computer. It did have an effect of decreasing the reboot time to after 3 mins of windows being loaded but I still can't go to the settings where I could turn off auto reboot (as I've read that somewhere in settings you can turn off auto reboot somewhere).

Is there a way to turn off auto reboot throught the command prompt? It seems only through loading into windows does the reboot happens as it's OK to say at the login section before getting into windows.
I'd like to keep doing a factory reset as the last possible resort. I hope a solution could be found for my friend.

P.S. while loading winfoews , after 2 minutes, the screen freezes and the laptop auto reboots. If you need a video of it, I'll be happy to provide it if it could help find a solution to fixing the problem.

Thank you for your time.
HP Recommended

Hi @anidisspit,

I read the post and reviewed it. Please let me know if you've run diagnostics on the machine from the previous post. If so what are the results of the tests? If you've not done it, Please run the complete system diagnostics right away. Let's first ensure that the hardware is fully functional.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps.

Thanks and have a great day.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I've run diagnostics (the one thats takes a long time) and all of it says its passed. I think there was a problem with the update as it seems that the reboot only happens while the computer is just starting up all the programs as I've stated that I was able to stay on the desktop screen for only a few minutes. I tried checking the startups by bringing out the task bar window but I don't have enough time to do anything as my time limit runs out and it freezes then reboots.
HP Recommended

@anidisspit

Thank you for the update,

It's good to know that the hardware tests have passed, 

This confirms that it's a software issue and not a hardware failure,

I recommend you perform a full system recovery to set the computer back to the factory defaults,

I see that you've done a system restore(recovery) to an earlier date but that only reverts certain settings, unlike the recovery that removes all data and resets the computer.

Here's a link that should help you find the details on how to get started: Click here

If this has been done and yet the issue persists,

the only other thing you could do is to utilize the recovery media that you may have created shortly after you purchased your computer,

If you haven't created one, please order one online using the Official HP website for software and downloads: Click here

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
sorry for the long wait for a reply. been very busy. but you're solution was the only one we could do. we dont experience the problem anymore. unfortunately we could not save his files. i've advised my friend to be careful surfing and downloading from the internet. thank you for your time at helping us find a solution.

"solved"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.