Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Error message for cooling fan (902) comes on during start up.  Know how to resolve?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Below topic willl give You answer on this question:

dv7-3188cl Fan Problem Solved (no thanks to HP)

Informations about solution which is posted there You will find below:

Reducing Heat and Fan Noise by Cleaning Air Vents

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
HP Recommended

Hi,

Below topic willl give You answer on this question:

dv7-3188cl Fan Problem Solved (no thanks to HP)

Informations about solution which is posted there You will find below:

Reducing Heat and Fan Noise by Cleaning Air Vents

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Product: HP Mini 210-1011EA PC from TESCO Direct in May 2010.

The machine was installed with MS Office software at the time of purchase. It was not used since May 2010. I recharged the battery and switched on the net book a couple of days ago and it lists the following error message in the boot up process. The system BIOs has detected a possible error with the cooling fan. .... ... the error code is (902) Press enter to shut down. Refer this url .. It gives a url of HP website. The net book automatically shuts down and I am unable to proceed with the start up. I saw in the HP website that this error can be solved by upgrading the BIOS, how can I do this? Priyanthi

HP Recommended

This Error Indicates that you have a problem with the System Fan (which is either not running or running slower than required speed)...I would suggest doing a power drain and see if the system allows you to boot into the OS... if yes, update the BIOS and check, if it does not fix the issue, than you will need to contact tech support to have the fan replaced...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

I made an account with HP support just to be able to say this to you. You are the best person ever!!!! Blowing into the fan worked! I couldnt believe it and I was so relieved to the fact that it worked. You deserve the noble peace prize for sharing this.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

@Adriel_Shanks

Hi,

Thank you for your positive report.

It would be great if you will hit Kudos Stars (while you be logged on forum) to posts which helped you with this problem.

This move will help others to find much more easier this answers too.

Have a good day.

Dan

HP Recommended

i bought a mini hp its showing the same error(902) what do i do?

HP Recommended

@charliemun82

Hi,

Use solution which is posted in this topic.

HP Recommended

hi all,

i faced the same error on my DV6 laptop and i disconnected the AC adaptor and removed the battery then i just blowed some air in the fan outlet to remove any dust 

then i reboot the laptop and it's now working but i feel that the fan performance is not good 

is there anything Extra i can do to prevent this error 

also iam afraid of any damages that could result from the cooling fan not working properly although the laptop is working normally now but i don't want to have any damages

can i buy a cooling plate to help on this ?

please feed me back as soon as possible 

Thanks,

HP Recommended

This is the best answer, after it is advisable to check if available BIOS updates for your computer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.