Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 650 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop was having issues. I attempted a system state restore, which resulted in it booting continuously to a blue screen. I used the cloud recovery software to create a boot disk. There was a BIOS password tied in with the fingerprint reader. That worked fine until the new OS was installed and rebooted. Then the finger print reader would not even attempt to read, but the old user account was not on the OS. The corresponding password doesn't work either. How do I get past the Boot up password to get to the fresh Windows install?

I contacted support on Case # [edited] and was basically told tuff cookies...

10:08 AM  Ruban: I am sorry Mike. We are not authorized to this.

Our HP reseller spent over 2 hours working on this system to no avail.

I was an HP reseller for 16 years and currently work for a company that buys at least 50 HP systems a year.  Hardly seems right to me that a 3 month old laptop is now a paper weight.

Product #: 4PY33UT#ABA

Serial #: [edited]

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there is nothing any of us on this forum can do to help with removing the BIOS password on HP business class notebooks.  We never could.

Those require HP to send you what is known as a SMC.bin file, that you use at bootup to clear the BIOS P/W.

If they are not willing to do that anymore, then the only way around the issue would be to replace the motherboard.

Additonally, new rules were instituted on the forum prohibiting us from assisting with removing the BIOS P/W on notebooks that provide a lock code (rule 4d.).

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage

The only suggestion I can offer would be to call HP back and ask for the SMC.bin file required to clear the BIOS P/W.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.