Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Community,

I accidently created a password and therefor enabled Power-On Password in the BIOS. How do I now disable this so I do not have to enter the password each time I boot up the laptop? I do know the password, but do not see the option in BIOS to disable this. (please see screen shots below)

The model is HP EliteBook 840 G3.

Any help would be appreciated.

hp.jpghp-2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks to Paul_Tikkanen (his message seems to have disappeared from this thread) his instructions below worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, there are no instructions for how to do that.

You can see if this works...it is how it works on other HP notebooks.

Select the Change POST Power on Password.

It should tell you to enter the P/W to do that, or it may do so when you actually go to change the password.

Once you are in the menu, under the new password, press the Enter key, and confirm the password by pressing the Enter key.

Both the password and confirm password blocks should be empty.

Save the settings and exit the BIOS.

Thanks for being an active member of our community. We appreciate it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Rds-9 

That was a serious mistake because without the password, you can not reset it, and HP does not reset BIOS passwords.

HP's policy is to replace system boards where the BIOS password is encrypted into the firmware on the BIOS chip -- because the BIOS chip itself is not removable.  If they are willing to do that, they will charge you for the parts and labor.

You would have to take this up with HP to resolve it:

USA/Canada HP contact info: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi WAWood,

Thanks for your message. I do know the password. I can get into the BIOS but do not see an option to disable Power-On Authentication.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks to Paul_Tikkanen (his message seems to have disappeared from this thread) his instructions below worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, there are no instructions for how to do that.

You can see if this works...it is how it works on other HP notebooks.

Select the Change POST Power on Password.

It should tell you to enter the P/W to do that, or it may do so when you actually go to change the password.

Once you are in the menu, under the new password, press the Enter key, and confirm the password by pressing the Enter key.

Both the password and confirm password blocks should be empty.

Save the settings and exit the BIOS.

Thanks for being an active member of our community. We appreciate it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.