Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My spectrex360 is shutting off as soon as I turn it on. I’ve tried booting into safe mode using windows+b, and I’ve also tried booting from a USB, but neither of these are working.

My next option is to reset the bios by taking out the CMOS battery, but my model doesn’t actually have a CMOS battery. Will unplugging the main battery achieve the same effect? If so, how long do I need to leave it unplugged for?

Also, would I need to hold down the power button when the battery is unplugged to discharge capacitors?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sk_ 

OK, so first of all, removing a CMOS battery in a laptop does NOT reset the BIOS, so even if this one had a battery, that would do you no good.

If you're talking about the UEFI/BIOS settings, you go into the menu to reset those -- and you get to that by pressing the Esc key repeatedly while rebooting, and then when the HP Startup Menu appears, you press the key for Settings.

If you're talking about resetting the BIOS code, you have to reflash the BIOS to do that -- and I would advise strongly against this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

My notebook is completely unresponsive - it turns on for about 2 seconds then shuts back down. I’ve read online that this could be due to bios corruption and that it can be fixed by removing the cmos battery for a few minutes.

HP Recommended

@sk_ 

What you read is incorrect . The battery provides power so that custom BIOS/UEFI settings are retained when the PC is powered down.  With laptops that do not have CMOS batteries, the laptop battery serves this function.

This will reset the settings -- but it does not reload the BIOS code itself.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.