Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 convertible 15df1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new Spectre, with preinstalled Windows 10. I have 512GB SSD + 32GB Optane, with only one USB port.  I am not an expert at Ubuntu at all.

I've been trying to partition the hard drive and install Ubuntu 16.04 so that I can dual boot.  In Windows I have shrunk the Windows partition so that there is unallocated space on the hard drive.  I created a bootable USB (changed the name of the .efi file so as to avoid the error involving "import_mok_state failed"), booted into Ubuntu on the live USB, went through the process of installing Ubuntu (choosing to install alongside Windows).  I've tried a number of things (detailed below) and I'm not sure what worked and what didn't, but I can't boot into the installed Ubuntu. 

Currently the situation is as follows:  If I restart from Windows holding down shift (bootable disk not inserted), I am given the option to boot Ubuntu, but I then get an error "The selected boot device failed" and I can then only press "Continue" which boots Windows.  If I boot Ubuntu via the live USB, I can see that the Linux File System is sitting in the "Unallocated space" that I separated out in Windows (by doing fdisk -l in the terminal) although Windows still sees this space as unallocated.  So it looks like Ubuntu has installed, but the grub bootloader is broken.  However, I can't repair it because the Ubuntu installation doesn't have the wifi driver so I can't access the internet while booting into the live USB.

I have tried all of the below and in a variety of different combinations, and some other things that I can't even remember

- Reset the laptop completely and started fresh (although even doing this leaves the option to boot into Ubuntu which then fails)

- Disabled secure boot and fast startup

- Tried different USB's and different software for creating the bootable USB

- Separating out the disk space (so that there is unallocated space) and trying without separating out (this doesn't work - although the Ubuntu installation then asks how to divide out the memory, it only does so with a very small amount space, around 20GB and I need at least 150GB for Ubuntu)

- During Ubuntu Installation tried the "Something else" option and attempted to do the division of the drives from here, but the installation failed.

- Followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUWpUdCWFbI, but the grub-install step around 2:39 fails.

At this stage my best guess, based on this article, https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-ubuntu-linux-pc-wont-boot/, is that the grub boot loader is missing or overwritten, but I have no way of repairing it. resetting to factory settings doesn't seem to remove the option to boot into Ubuntu (which fails), so I'm thinking something gets left behind because I'm not doing the full reset which is suggested for if the PC will be recycled, because I'm worried I would lose the windows as well.

I'm also wondering if the separate Optane memory might be causing the problem, but I don't know what to do to check.

Should I just do a complete reset?  How do I avoid causing the same problem?  Or have I missed something obvious?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

Well you lost me.  I don't have an SSD so this may well be wrong.

How about W10 Re-Installed.  Secure Boot / GPT?

Then Ubuntu SECURE BOOT - GPT alongside.

If you add a legacy Linux you don't get it to boot;  UNLESS it has it's own boot loader.

Parts of My Disk.pngBoot Man x 5.jpg

Windows 10 and OpenSuSE both boot from the same SECURE BOOT-loader.

ESC and F9 get's me access to the legacy ubuntu,  openSuse and the DEBIAN one, from which I boot either Lubuntu or Debian.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer!  How do I give Ubuntu its own bootloader? (since I can't access the installed ubuntu and I only have the one USB port).

Also, my bootloader doesn't show ubuntu at the same place as I the picture you showed.  For clarity, if I reboot holding down shift, I get this window

IMG_8306.JPG 

I can then choose Ubuntu, but it fails with "The selected boot device failed.  Press <enter> to continue".  This then takes me to the Boot Manager, which does NOT give an Ubuntu option:

IMG_8309.JPG

If I choose boot from EFI file here, I can go down a rabbit hole that leads nowhere:

IMG_8310.JPG

IMG_8311.JPG

IMG_8312.JPG

which then just takes me back again to this screen.

IMG_8308.JPG

I'm fairly sure the Ubuntu was  installed from the USB booted in UEFI mode, which I understand one has to do because the Windows boots in UEFI mode, but that's mostly because I can't figure out at all how to go into Legacy or BIOS mode, none of the tutorials I've come across online have the same menus as mine.  In the Firmware/UEFI setup there is no option to change the boot mode, only the boot order.

On that note, if I change the boot order to boot from the device immediately (as in the process above), it also fails.

HP Recommended

Hi

I would wipe ubuntu from the SSD.

Then perhaps this...

https://techfoss.net/install-ubuntu-along-with-windows-in-dual-boot/

HP Recommended

OK, I'll give it a shot tonight.  Is there a reliable way to make sure it gets removed completely?

HP Recommended

Hi

Probably not.

W10 is not best suited.

I use a LIVE Lubuntu and then Gparted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.