Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently bought a new SSD to upgrade my laptop. So i copied the content of the old SSD to the new one, installed it into my laptop and now it won't boot up. 

When i try to start it up it shows me Windows error 0xc00000e (Can't find winload.exe). 

Can someone help me fix this problem?

Thanks in advance! 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to try clean installing W10 by using the media creation tool at the link below.

You can make your own bootable W10 USB installation flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If your notebook was upgraded to W10 from an older operating system, when you get to the part of the installation script where you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

After W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from you notebook's support page.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast reply!

I rather dont want to do a clean install of W10, because i dont want to download all of my software again.

The only problem with the new SSD is that it is automatically set to a D station instead of a C: station upon start up, although there is no other drive/USB-drive connected. I suspect that it boots up in the wrong order.

Is there a way to change the boot order?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I have given you the only suggestion I had.

Sometimes you have to do what you don't want to do.

I don't know how many hours you have been dealing with this issue, but I bet by now you'd have most of it back up and running after a clean install.

HP Recommended

I will just clean install W10 then, thanks for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.