Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

That's a possibility, and if it works on your 850 G2, it should work on the 840 G2, since both laptops appear to have identical software, firmware, and internals. 

The main problems with that are:

1. If the SATA drive is removed, damaged, erased, or replaced, the system is unusable, even though all OS files are on the NVMe drive

2. If the laptop is intended for use by someone else, and you're not around to fix it (i.e. someone else who only knows the basics needs to reinstall Windows), they may have a tough time

HP Recommended

The first hypothetical you posed is easily mitigated by arming yourself. In our woodland realm we might use a bow of yew and a quivver of arrows. In your world you would use a USB thumb drive with an EFI partition loaded with a fresh install of Clover for emergency boots. In fact that is what I have been doing to boot my NVME Hackbook while I wait for my 20GB cheap $10 2.5" SSD to arrive from eBay.

The second hypothetical is more of a general life problem that could be mitigated by the simple phrase: "Knowledge is power"😀

HP Recommended

does it work on windows?

HP Recommended

i have the same issue. is there any solution on this?

HP Recommended

Hi, do you have links for this instruction?

HP Recommended

My solution works but I suggest ditching the 850 or 840 G2 and upgrading to the G3 which supports NVME boot and the PCiE speed is x4 as upposed to the slower x2 in the G2 models.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.