Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy X360 13 inch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I guess my laptop is not the first one to have this problem, and I have not seen many users resolving the same problems on the forum.

I bought this refurbished Envy X360 13 inch with Ryzen 5 processor (13m-ag001dx) from newegg a few days ago. I went to the HP download site to update all drivers and the BIOS (ver. F33 rev. A). I also make sure all Windows updates have been performed (up to date as of today).

Ryzen has given a lot of performance problem when it was first introduced, but now with many driver updates, I do not have any iissue with the graphics or general performance of the notebook.

The only problem that persists from the beginning (before and after all these updates), is that:

1) After long period of time eg. overnight, when I press the power button to boot the laptop, the light comes on but nothing happens on the screen, and then it will turn off on its own after a few seconds. When I press the power button again, it will boot normally.

2) After leaving the laptop in sleep mode (eg. closing the lid) for long period of time eg. a few hours, it does not wake when I open the lid. It does not wake when I press keys on the keyboard or the power button. The only way to solve this problem is to press the power button for a few seconds to do a force-shut-down. Afterwards, pressing the power button will successfully boot up the laptop.

After extensively researching the forum posts, I think both situations are related to problems with the power management controller of the laptop.

To HP rep:  please do not repeat reommendation on all the things I have already tried in troubleshooting

I have already tried most if not all of peoples' suggestion:

"the simple obvious things" like set close lid action = sleep etc etc etc

turning hibernation off with powercfg.exe in cmd

turning Windows fast start off in power options

power options -> change advanced power settings -> sleep -> allow wake timer = enabled

power options -> change advanced power settings -> PCI Express -> link state power management = disabled

all AMD and HP drivers are up to date

I have tried rolling back to older graphics driver (AMD), but no difference

HP hardware diagnostics did not find problem with any component

Windows troubleshooter for power did not find any problem

I also tried to roll back the BIOS, but there is no BIOS recovery when I press [Win}{B} + power button on boot. Installing HP hardware diagnostics and HP software assistant did not give me BIOS recovery. I cannot find any copy of previous BIOS (HP only has the latest) to try to set up a BIOS recovery USB.

*NOTE* I do not have BIOS recovery maybe because I upgraded my original 128GB SSD to a 256GB HP (Hitachi) one. I did a clean re-install of Windows on the new SSD instead of cloning it.

I also know about enabling "allow device to wake up PC" in "power management" tab of the device (in this case, the keyboard) in device manager, but there is no such "power management" tab anymore in Win 10. I tried the command line approach with "powercfg.exe /devicequery wake_from_any", but the keyboard is not on the list (nor is any other useable device).

In my research, I believe that BIOS may have significant influence on power management of the laptop. 

I am out of ideas. This is a very nice laptop and I hate to return it for refund.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@jimtim I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you. I received a private message and provided the requested information.

BTW, I received a BIOS update from HP via Windows update (Ver. F34, 3/7/2019), but my problems persist.

HP Recommended

I have the EXACT same issues.  Can you send me advice?

HP Recommended

I have this problem, too.  HELP!  

HP Recommended

@TomFromMD,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Could you please share the product number of your HP notebook to assist you better?

Have you tried to follow the steps suggested from the previous post?

Did you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did you try to update the drivers either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant. 

Have you tried to update the Bios on your PC.

Could you please respond to this post with the details as well as elaborate more on the issue as this will help me in further assisting you.

Waiting for your response!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I downloaded and installed the HP Support Assistant, and ran the updates, including BIOS and driver updates.  The problem hasn't come up since I did all the updates (critical and recommended).  Here's hoping that fixed the problem!

HP Recommended

@TomFromMD,

I'm glad to hear that. Let's keep the computer under observation and check how it goes.

If you come across any issues, please get back to us and we'll be more than happy to help you.

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have hp envy x360 2 in 1 ag0035au and I have the same problem.

Whenever I put my pc to sleep, any keypress on the inbuilt keyboard,  touch on the touchpad or touchscreen wakes it. And there is no bios option or option in device manager to disable wake from sleep for the inbuilt keyboard, touchpad or touchscreen.

HP Recommended

Hi. I have a Pavilion HP 15-cw0509sa with Ryzen 2500U and BIOS update to F.35 Rev.A and I have the same problem: no NICs (wifi and ethernet) after resuming from sleep.

To outwit the problem, I've installed another wifi PCIe card (Intel 8260ac) and didn't work. Then I plugged a USB wifi adapter and worked. So I think it is a PCIe device issue.

I've also noticed when this issue happens, if I reboot the system, Windows doesn't recognize any PCIe NIC devices after rebooting. So to get PCIe devices back to work I must perform a full shutdown with « shutdown /f /s » command or disable fast boot on Windows Power configuration and do a Power off, so the "sleeping devices" can be waked.

I also got to try booting with a Linux system to check if is a software/driver issue, but NICs are not recognized either if I don't do a full shutdown previously. 

I can't figure out if it is a BIOS update issue after update to F.35 Rev.A because I got this laptop last week and I have instaled this BIOS version, so now I can't compare to the original version. Does anyone have the backup?

No NICs PCIe devices after resuming sleep modeNo NICs PCIe devices after resuming sleep mode

No PCIe NIC devices after resuming from sleep mode

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.