Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
G60-630US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have gone into BIOS setup and changed to allow boot from USB. This worked ok, but after I booted Windows 10 again from hard drive I can no longed boot from USB and I can not get back into BIOS setup. The Esc key or any function keys don't get me to setup. Is there another combination of keys that will get me to setup? I had the exact same problem on an Acer laptop where pressing 2 keys not normally used for getting into setup, got me to setup and than everything was ok. Is this problem related to Windows 10? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings @Ykcor4

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to use any action keys on your computer to enter BIOS or Boot device selection screen, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Is your computer running fine in Windows 10?

Recommend trying the steps in this HP Article to enable/disable action keys on your computer and check. 

If the issue persists, please install the Hotkey driver from this link and let me know if this helped. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings @Ykcor4

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to use any action keys on your computer to enter BIOS or Boot device selection screen, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Recommend trying the steps in this HP Article to enable/disable action keys on your computer and check. 

If the issue persists, please install the Hotkey driver from this link and let me know if this helped. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

fn key + F10 on reboot brought back the press Esc to enter setup prompt. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad that the issue is resolved. Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The fn key + f10 worked one time only. The "press esc to enter setup" prompt came back on the next reboot, but after starting Windows 10 and shutting down it doesn't show and I'm now back to the original problem. When I boot it doesn't see the bootable flash drive. If I can get into bios setup and then exit the bootable flash drive is read. Also I have another issue with the wifi, the wifi switch doesn't turn the wifi on. I'm not sure if this is from trying different function key combinations, but I can't enable wifi.

HP Recommended

This used to work on my HP Laptop.   Now I have tried all the options in these articles and in the solutions and I still can not get to any of the boot options that should be available prior to Windows loading.   <esc> F10,    <fn><esc>  and <fn><F10> do not work.   I used to get the alternate boot menu by just hitting the <F9> prior to windows loading.   That no longer works.

Over the years I have had the need to do this several times to install fresh versions of Windows.  But of course it hits when the stress is greatest.

What can I do.  Note, System is running again (don't know why) it had black screened after w10 update but during these reboots w10 started to boot properly again.

Final Note - What happens is it just boots Windows.

HP Recommended

@RayLNelson Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to use any action keys on your computer to enter the BIOS or Boot device selection screen.

Recommend trying the steps in this HP Article to enable/disable action keys on your computer and check. 

If the issue persists, please install the Hotkey driver from this link and let me know if this helped. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank your for your response.  Found the reason in another article.    Windows 10 Fast startup was enabled.   That apparently disables all those pre-windows startup options.   After turning fast start  off, everything works fine.   

HP Recommended

Hi @RayLNelson

That's great! Happy to hear that. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.