Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-dy1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Many questions asked,  several answered, but only unsatisfactorily to my liking.  Want f5 to refresh my web page.  Don't want to disable fn keys in the BIOS,  as has been suggested, because that then requires me to fn+everything else - brightness, mute, volume, play pause, etc.  Bring back f5 as web page refresh on my new HP laptop like the previous two HP laptops i've owned over the last 12 years.  Or can you tell me where to go to hack this as Google isn't providing me much of a solution....

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@John_VanIsle

Welcome to the HP support community.

Check if there's a lock icon on the keyboard, if yes, fn+lock should toggle the keys.

If not, turn on or off the backlight

If your notebook computer has a backlit keyboard, press the F5 or F4 (some models) key on the keyboard to turn the light on or off. It might be necessary to press the fn (function) key at the same time.

If the backlight icon  is not on the F5 key, look for the backlit keyboard key on the row of function keys.

Backlit keyboard key and fn keys highlighted

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There is no lock function on the keyboard.  No back lit keyboard.  Just want my 'refresh' key back - not a fn+f5 combo.  Yes, a 1st world problem, but it turns into a stretchy one hand movement or a two handed motion instead of a nice, easy, left index finger *boink*, done, key stroke.

HP Recommended

@John_VanIsle

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.