Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
HP 14s-dq0000 Laptop PC (8RK28AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Just recently had issues with my laptop. Tried the Hard Reset method where you unplug the battery and drain it to try and get in the BIOS. I currently can't get into the BIOS nor can I boot. When the Laptop is powered on, the screen flashes 2 times slowly and then stops, and after that the Caps Lock button blinks in a 5 slow and 3 fast blink pattern. I have done the Hard Reset, unplugged and plugged in the screen, and haven't tried the CMOS battery or anything under the plate the covers the CPU.   Everything in Blue has been triedEverything in Blue has been tried

(Everything in Blue has been tried. Everything in Red hasn't been removed yet)

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Joshua75,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP 14-dq0005dx laptop is not booting and you've tried a hard reset without success, you can try some additional troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

Check for External Devices: Ensure that there are no external devices connected to the laptop, such as USB drives or external hard drives, which might be causing a boot issue.

Perform a Power Reset:

• Disconnect the laptop from the power source.
  • Remove the battery (if possible).
  • Press and hold the power button for about 15-20 seconds to discharge any residual power.
  • Reconnect the battery (if removed) and plug the laptop back into the power source.

Check Display Connection: The two slow flashes you mentioned could indicate a display issue. Make sure the laptop's screen is properly connected to the motherboard. If you are comfortable doing so, you may need to open the laptop to check the connections. If it's under warranty, it's best to contact HP support for this.

Test with External Monitor: Connect an external monitor to the laptop to see if the issue is related to the laptop's screen. If the external monitor displays an image, it suggests a possible issue with the laptop's built-in display.

RAM and Storage Check:

• Reseat the RAM modules. This involves opening the laptop and making sure the RAM is securely in place. If there are multiple RAM sticks, try removing one at a time and see if the laptop boots.
  • Check the storage drive (HDD/SSD) connections to ensure they are properly connected.

BIOS/UEFI Reset: If you can't access the BIOS, you may try to reset it. On HP laptops, this often involves pressing specific keys (like F10 or F2) during startup. Refer to your laptop's manual for the exact key combination.

Update or Rollback BIOS/UEFI: If you recently updated your BIOS/UEFI, it's possible that the update caused an issue. Check HP's official website for your laptop model to see if there are any BIOS updates available. If you recently updated the BIOS, you might also consider rolling back to a previous version.

Boot from a USB Drive: Create a bootable USB drive with a known working operating system (e.g., Windows or Linux). Try booting your laptop from this drive to see if it's a software or OS-related issue.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.