Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 2710p Tablet PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading HP Compaq 2710p Tablet to a Kingspec 128 GB 1.8" SSD, it is not possible to boot directly each time it boots up from shutdown status. Instead, it appears the message:

"Non-System Disk or Disk Error press Ctrl+Alt+Delete".

After pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete it boots up fine. The laptop boots up fine any other time it restarts from working status. This problem did not exist prior to upgrading to SSD. This problem disappears each time I downgrade to HDD.

Does anyone have any idea on how to figure out this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I bought a used HP 2710p on eBay recently.

I thought it used a 2.5" SATA hard drive.

Wrong!

Anyway, the original Toshiba 80 GB was still good, but it felt sluggish.

Read extensivey the posts in the HP Elitebook 2710p sub-forum over at notebookreview.com but many of the links no longer existed.

I also found a useful Youtube video titled Replacing ZIF HDD to mSata SSD on HP Compaq 2510p laptop

After weighing the options, I decided to go with purchasing a ZIF-mSATA adapter board and a 64 GB Innodisk mSATA SSD.

The ZIF-mSATA adapter board came from an eBay seller in China.

The mSATA SSD came from an eBay seller in the USA.

Assembled the two together.

The tricky part was deciding which way to insert the ZIF flex cable.

You have 50-50 chance of guessing it right the first time. LOL.

I then installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I would have only used an SSD that was guaranteeed compatible for an upgrade candidate part.  Kingston memory makes a few of them.

https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/laptop/hp-compaq/business-series-all-other-models/hp-compaq-bus...

Runcore Pro IV SSD is also reported as working.

I had never heard of Kingspec SSD products until today.  You  probably should have done a search in the forum before purchasing the SSD. Another member tried the very same upgrade that you have attempted back in 2014  with a Kingspec SSD. He had big problems with the Kingspec SSD. It is uncertain as to whether or not if he ever got it to work properly. See the following link.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-2710p-upgrade-to-SSD-Very-s...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico, thank you for your response.

However, please be informed that neither of the proposed solutions are in fact implementable.

Kingston's listing on HP 2710p SDD product was erroneous and upon requesting company's clarifications, it has now been removed.

Runcore PRO IV SSD has been discontinued and company is not responding on any request.

HP Recommended

It is good to get that erroneous information on the Kingston website cleared up.

It may very well be that the generation of notebooks that yours comes from has spotty SSD support.

I suspect that it is a BIOS issue.   I have an older Toshiba that works well with a first generation SSD SATA 150 OCZ Agility. I have tried upgrading other older notebooks  and had mixed success.

OCZ is a brand that no longer exists. It was purchased by Samsung.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I bought a used HP 2710p on eBay recently.

I thought it used a 2.5" SATA hard drive.

Wrong!

Anyway, the original Toshiba 80 GB was still good, but it felt sluggish.

Read extensivey the posts in the HP Elitebook 2710p sub-forum over at notebookreview.com but many of the links no longer existed.

I also found a useful Youtube video titled Replacing ZIF HDD to mSata SSD on HP Compaq 2510p laptop

After weighing the options, I decided to go with purchasing a ZIF-mSATA adapter board and a 64 GB Innodisk mSATA SSD.

The ZIF-mSATA adapter board came from an eBay seller in China.

The mSATA SSD came from an eBay seller in the USA.

Assembled the two together.

The tricky part was deciding which way to insert the ZIF flex cable.

You have 50-50 chance of guessing it right the first time. LOL.

I then installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

HP Recommended

So be ...

HP Recommended

@igeront wrote:

So be ...

?

HP Recommended

?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.