Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Beats 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Hello,
I recently replaced my hard drive and am now trying to install Windows onto it. I went into BIOS and changed the boot order, disabled secure boot, and enabled legacy boot. It will not boot up from my CD, it instead tells me to reboot and select proper boot device.

Please help!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I determined the disk was the issue, my friend gave me a USB with Windows and it worked perfectly fine.
Thanks for your time.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

While not described in the post, what CD is this?  It will only boot to a certified bootable disk.  It would need to be an install disk for Windows to reinstall Windows 8.1.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
It should be an install disk for Windows 8.1, my boyfriend burnt a download onto the disk for me. It is possible that the disk is the problem..
HP Recommended

On these new PC's, hitting Esc at startup should bring up a menu to pick the boot device.  With the disk in the drive, if it does not show as a boot disk for the DVD/CD drive then there is a problem with the disk.  If the disk was made from the M$ site and the Media Creation Tool ,then it should be good.  Is that where is came from?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
I determined the disk was the issue, my friend gave me a USB with Windows and it worked perfectly fine.
Thanks for your time.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.