Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 13-ab067cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy  shutdown itself. 

When I power on, it boots to windows  and after few minutes it powers off itself. 

When i try to power on, the Power LED is on but nothing on the screen. 

After trying a few times, it boots up windows and then same story.  This happens both on power and on battery. I can battery charges and discharges.  I have tried both  disconnecting battery and running on power as well as running only on battery.

When this issue started happening, it will run for 15 minutes or more,  before shutting down itself, but now it barely stays up for 1 minute or less.

Attempting to boot from USB resulted in same issue.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

One more piece of information;  I noticed that if I disconnect the AC adapter, it boots  but stays up only for a minute or two and shutdown quickly even if i connect the power adapter. I also noticed that even if the AC adapter is connected and left charging overnight. i still see charging light ( amber  ) coming on after just few minutes of powering on.

So my question is, if the battery is dead, will i be able to boot the laptop with AC adapter connected?

Alternately, if i disconnect the battery and will be able to boot the laptop with AC adapter connected?

The laptop is about 3 years old and so is it possible that the battery is dead and is causing the boot issue?

HP Recommended

@Meadowgreen

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

BIOS default:

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update? -  No, I did roll back windows update when this started happening. The issue remained
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes? - No
  • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue? - No
  • When was the last time it worked fine? - More than a month ago.  After browsing the community pages, i did a hard reset and no change in issue.   It barely stays up for a minute before the power goes off.  I have disconnected the battery and tried with AC adapter. still same issue. Also have tried running on battery only.  Will try the BIOS default method and let you know. I have to be real fast as it does not stay up.
HP Recommended

Hi

As per you instruction, i changed BIOS to default settings, booted. It booted into OS and within a minute, it powered off itself.

HP Recommended

@Meadowgreen

Thank you for posting back. 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.