Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am using a HP Envy 17 - j053ea. I had a BIOS update and after that update my laptop is not boot. It gives a black screen; and caps lock gives a blink once and after few seconds another one. I am running Windows 8. Can anyone help on it?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
I had the same problem.
HP Recommended

Hi maeglin23, sorry to hear that you are having issues with your computer not booting up. I have done some research for you and I have found a document that I think may resolve the issue.  Please click on the link that I have provided.   http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01997899

If this does not resolve the issue, please write back and I will attempt other measures.

Thank you

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Waterboy, I had tried those but it didn`t work for me. As I just bought it two weeks ago they changed my laptop with the new one in PC World. Guy said it might be a motherboard issue but i m not sure.

HP Recommended

Dear Hp support, I am quite astonished that this issue has not been fixed by HP so far!!

Yesterday my Envy 17 did not reboot as well, just after this idiot bios update.

How can it be so, after months that the problem happened to other users??!!

My Envy is just six months old...

I am sincerely disappointed.

Marco Maria Marcolini

HP Recommended

HP has a bad support, i´ve always bought hp laptop, but now  i´m going to change and to recomend others do this, i´m in other country and the only way to fix this issue is to send my notebook to USA,  this is a crash,  i´m only updated, and this doesn´t work, only a black screen... 

HP Recommended

Please try the following

make sure the notbook is switched off

make sure the power supply is plugged in

hold the windows key and b key together while holding them keys down press the power button but keep holding the windows key and the b key till you see the bcaklight come on the let go of the keys and it will do a bios recovery

HP Recommended

have you found the solution, I am having the same problem

HP Recommended
Hi

If this is the model im thinking if you turn the notebook upside down and remove the battery there will be a big door with 1 screw holding it in place. Loosen the screw and removed the door . Once the door is removed if you can see a circular battery remove it and leave it out. Give it 5 mins then power on the unit with out the battery and main battery in just the charger leave for a few mins and see if it posts. If it does not work try again. If this fails put the cmos battery back in the mainbaord and power on again. If this fails make sure the unit is switched off and hold the windows key on the keyboard and the b key together keep them held in and power on the unit keep holding both keys in till it comes up with bios recovery in process then release. If this fails then its normaly the mainboard at fault
HP Recommended

Another thing to try is if anything is plugged-in other than power supply (e.g. USB ports) then disconnect those things before powering-on. If this works then it's not a fix but may at least get the thing to boot and be semi-usable until HP provide a proper resolution... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.