cancel
slowcamel123 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy notebook not booting: BIOS settings cannot be saved & USB Boot is impossible

Envy Notebook 15-ah100na N7J85EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The laptop is refusing to boot into Windows from the HD or from any USB bootable stick. This situation arose after I attempted to do a factory reset on the laptop.

I have done the detailed memory and hard disk diagnostics from the BIOS. All of these were clear without any issues reported.

I have tried to use a bootable windows installation/recovery USB, but I cannot do this since any changes to BIOS settings (except date/time changes) don't get saved. I need to change the boot sequence to USB first to do this, but as I have implied earlier, this does not get saved.

I also built a BIOS update USB stick and tried to update the BIOS using the Windows key + "B" combo method. I hear the laptop fan start running, the screen switches on but remains black, and after a few seconds the caps lock key blinks twice followed by a long break, and this blinking pattern continues.

The laptop is out of warranty but I would really like to get it running again and am willing to explore adventurous (but reasonably priced, preferably free) solutions.

4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
8891 8828 1707 3198
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy notebook not booting: BIOS settings cannot be saved & USB Boot is impossible

Hi,

When you turn on the PC and keep pressing ESC, the startup menu appears, next press F9 for boot menu, do you see the USB drive? (if not, try turning off secure boot in BIOS)

If you remove the drive and boot without drive, what happens?

Let me know,

David

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi David,

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I unfortunately didn't have a working PC over the weekend and discovered that I couldn't respond in the Community forum using my smartphone.

When I press F9 at startup, USB does not appear as a selection:

Screen 3.jpg

I tried changing various setting in the BIOS, including turning off secure boot, but except for time and date, BIOS doesn't save any changes. I used the F10 'save and exit' option every time. This is what happens if I let it boot:

Screen 1.jpg

If I physically remove the hard disk and try to boot, then this happens, which is the same as when I try to boot and don't press Esc at startup:

Screen 2.jpg

I hope this helps.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Madrigal Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, did you sort out what the problems was with your Bios not saving changes? I have the same problem with my hp ProBook 4530. Thanks

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Madrigal,

I am still trying different things but haven't had any luck yet. If I make any progress I will share it here. Likewise, if you learn about something that works, please do share.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation