Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP G4 EliteBook 840

My laptop after some windows updates today does not start, stuck on promt fingerprint or password. I've enter 100% sure password and try my fingers but no luck.

How is possible to disable it or reset, i can't enter on BIOS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @sasha2002

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

This is related to the preboot login screen and it seems you are unable to bypass it for some reason, you should try restarting the computer. Press and hold the power-on button for 5-10 seconds until it powers off.

Start the computer back in and see if it will accept your login credentials.

If for whatever reason it doesn't accept them and if you cannot access the BIOS, your only option would be to service the computer. It's hard to assist on such options remotely and also since this is a security feature and you cannot be identified in the forum for sure as the owner of the PC, assisting may be security issue.

If in the USA, you can call HP tech support > 1-(800)-334-5144

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @sasha2002

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

This is related to the preboot login screen and it seems you are unable to bypass it for some reason, you should try restarting the computer. Press and hold the power-on button for 5-10 seconds until it powers off.

Start the computer back in and see if it will accept your login credentials.

If for whatever reason it doesn't accept them and if you cannot access the BIOS, your only option would be to service the computer. It's hard to assist on such options remotely and also since this is a security feature and you cannot be identified in the forum for sure as the owner of the PC, assisting may be security issue.

If in the USA, you can call HP tech support > 1-(800)-334-5144

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

After a research ONLY ONE is service.

I've tried all I know, no luck. After i call service it says that is just to replace motherboard....

HP Recommended

I havebthe same problem

HP Recommended

same thing here in Italy with a x360 Elitebook 1020 G2

I rebooted two days ago after an update and boom! the laptop requested me for a power-on password I never set.

Now the bad thing is I have been told by HP assistance (from Serbia office) I have to pull the BIOS battery on my own and if this doesn't work it's FUBAR.

I replied  it' still in warranty coverage, I'd expect ... Nope, warranty doesn't cover this issue, somebody must have set the password, bye"

do I need to escalate?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.