Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13Ba0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this laptop for about a month or two, and everything is fine with it apart from there is no option in the bios to make sure my key backlights always stay on, in similar bios versions I have saw the option under configuration, but it's not in my bios.

I can't find a solution to this issue online, the only thing I could think that may fix this issue is to install a new or different version of the bios, or maybe use some 3rd party software if any exists. 

I made a similar post in a different category last week and have checked every day for responses but there aren't any, can some HP expert let me know how to fix this issue please, it's very important because I work mostly at night in low light and type a lot.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@IndexAI, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps from the document fix :-

Turn on or off the backlight

If your notebook computer has a backlit keyboard, press the F5 or F4 (some models) key on the keyboard to turn the light on or off. It might be necessary to press the fn (function) key at the same time.

If the backlight icon  is not on the F5 key, look for the backlit keyboard key on the row of function keys.

Backlit keyboard key and fn keys highlighted

I cannot find the backlight key

Check the entire row of function keys. The backlight key might be in a different place or on a different key such as the F5, F4 or F11 key.

If there is no backlight key on the notebook, confirm that your notebook has a backlit keyboard. Go to the HP Customer Support page. Search for your notebook model plus the word specifications. Review the product specifications for your notebook model. Some models do not ship with a backlit keyboard.

Nothing happens when I press the backlight key

In Windows, press the fn (function) key and the backlight key. If nothing happens, check the BIOS settings.

In the BIOS, select BIOS Setup or BIOS Setup Utility, and then use the arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration tab. Make sure to enable Action Keys Mode, if it is not enabled already.

NOTE: 

Your BIOS version and screens might vary.

Action Keys Mode shown as Disabled

The backlight stays on for only a few seconds

If the blacklight stays on for only a few seconds, the backlight timeout setting might need configuring in the BIOS.

NOTE: 

If there is not a setting for the backlight timing in the BIOS, this behavior might not be supported on the notebook. Check your notebook model's product support documentation to confirm support.

Your BIOS version and screens might vary.

1. Restart the notebook, and then immediately press the F10 repeatedly until the BIOS opens.

2. When the BIOS opens, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Advanced tab.

3. Navigate to Built-in Device Options, and then press Enter.

The Advanced tab showing Built-in Device Option highlighted

4. In the Built-in Device Options, select Backlit keyboard timeout.

5. Press the spacebar to open the keyboard backlight settings, and then select the timeout setting you want.

NOTE: 

If you select Never, the backlight remains on which could quickly drain the notebook battery power.

Backlit keyboard timeout options

The backlight turns off after being turned on

Depending on the timeout setting, the backlight turns off after a period of inactivity. To turn on the backlight again, press any key on the keyboard or tap the touchpad, depending on your models.

I want to adjust the brightness of the backlight

To adjust the brightness of the backlight, press the key with the backlight icon  two or three times in a row. The keyboard

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.