Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hp 15 notebook laptop screen is black when I turn it on. The fans are really loud. The caps lock light blinks when the labtop is plugged in 5 slow blinks and 3 fast blinks. Yesterday when this happend I took out the battery and held the power button for a minute and put it back in and my laptop started up. Today the same issue has happend but no matter what I do the screen stays black with the caps light blinking and fans loud. please help me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey There! @Syleak, Welcome to HP forums!  

I understand you see a black screen with caps lock blinking 5 times repeatedly on your PC.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Are you able to boot into BIOS on your PC?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

The 5 blinking indicates a system board failure. 

The error indicates embedded controller has timed out waiting for the BIOS to return from system board initialization (end of POST).

Try the steps recommended below.

To perform a power reset on a laptop with a removable battery:
Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.
Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

If you are able to boot into BIOS, Try restoring the BIOS to defaults on your PC and check if it helps.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Also, refer this article to know more information about blinking lights on your PC. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with your PC.

I will share you few details about the service options for your laptop. 

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know how it goes! 
Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I am disappointed. 28 views but not reply. PLEASE SOMONE REPLY 

HP Recommended

Hey There! @Syleak, Welcome to HP forums!  

I understand you see a black screen with caps lock blinking 5 times repeatedly on your PC.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

The 5 blinking indicates a system board failure. 

The error indicates embedded controller has timed out waiting for the BIOS to return from system board initialization (end of POST).

Try the steps recommended below.

To perform a power reset on a laptop with a removable battery:
Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.
Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

If you are able to boot into BIOS, Try restoring the BIOS to defaults on your PC and check if it helps.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Also, refer this article to know more information about blinking lights on your PC. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with your PC.

I will share you few details about the service options for your laptop. 

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know how it goes! 
Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No

No even when I tried using a recovery drive and did the thing you said.

I tried resetting the bios by getting a new Cmos battery. Still the same thing.

I can't get anything to come up on the screen even when I do the buttons that should bring up the bios.

When this first happened I did the power reset thing and it fixed it. Then I turned off my laptop and the next day it did the same thing with the error code but the power reset did not work.

How much will it cost to get fixed? I no longer have a warranty. I am looking for the best deal because of low income. 

HP Recommended

@Syleak, Thanks for your prompt response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for writing back to us.

I'm not sure about the quote for the repair. I have escalated your concern to the next level.

They will contact you with the quote regarding the repair.

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.