Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem:

Saturday I went to get on to my daughter’s laptop like I have many times before and this time it didn’t want to load. It would come up to the HP screen and the white dots would spin in a circle, trying to load but never would load. After so many hard resets, it finally shows “Preparing Automatic Repair”, again the white dots are spinning in a circle and then went to a blank screen and never would go from there.

The HP Laptop Specs:

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC

Operating System Windows 10

Product # J7L47UA#ABA

System Board ID 226A

Product Configuration ID 0976100000405F00000620180

System Board CT # PEJCV008J6V1EM

BIOS Version F.11

Processor Speed 1800 MHz

Total Memory 4 GB

Steps Taken to Fix:

-F1 but nothing, other than system information.

-F2 HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI:

1.Clicked on system tests>extensive test>run once>not even 20 seconds later I get a “system extensive test FAILED” I continued to try all the options on the UEFI screen with no luck.

-F9 Boot Manager:

1.Boot Manager: It took me back to the HP screen with the white dots spinning but only going to a black screen.

2.Boot File from EFI file: It didn't respond to anything I did.

-F10 I played with a few settings but again, nothing happened.

-F11 Nothing loaded.

-F12 Nothing happened.

Now that I’ve updated you on everything, can anyone give me some more tips or steps to try in hopes of fixing it? I don’t want to have to pay loads of money on a repair shop.

Thanks in advance!

20191008_125816.jpg20191008_125855.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for posting, if the system extensive test failed was the failure for?

Other that that you can try re-installing the OS

Regards,

HP Recommended

@Spirit92 How do I try re-installing the OS when it won't load beyond the HP screen? Also, I'm not sure what the failure was for, I'll have to run it again and see what I can find out. Thank you for responding so quickly.

HP Recommended

Hey

on the start up menu if hit "F11" you will enter to the recovery environment and from there you can initiate system recovery or system reset". if you were using windows 10 you can create a recovery media by downloading windows media creation tool from Microsoft. install it on another windows computer and you can create a USB recovery media. You will need USB stick with  8GB at least.

Regards,

HP Recommended

@Spirit92 I did try the System Recovery but it wouldn't let me do it. When I'd hit ENTER once that is highlighted, nothing happened. I will try installing an OS by downloading it onto a USB stick from my other daughters laptop. Thank you for all your help!

HP Recommended

@Spirit92 Where can I get a the file for Windows 10?

HP Recommended

Hi

You can get the Windows media creation tool from the link  below:

click here 

Please follow the instruction in the document below to perform the system reset:

click here 

Regards,

HP Recommended

Hi,

If the issue is resolved please accept the solution.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.