Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have recently reïnstalled Windows10 on my notebook, but (almost) every time I turn it off (or to sleep mode or hibernate mode) the fan and power light stay on. The only way to properly shut the machine down is by pressing the power button for a few seconds.

I wonder if this is something in the OS or the BIOS settings, and if it is because of the BIOS settings, is updating the BIOS really the only way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Emma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI.

Please see that the bios has the default values of the bios:

1. F 10 at system startup
2. Go to the boot menu ... F9 to restore the default settings
3 Save and Exit.

Or do this if the above does not solve it:

Control Panel > Device Manager > scroll down to System Devices > scroll down to and right click Intel(R) Management Engine Interface > Properties > click tab Power Management > you should see an option that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Make sure this option is NOT checked and if it is, un-check it and click OK.

And while your at it try and update the drivers for Intel(R) Management Engine Interface, Go to:
Control Panel > Device Manager > scroll down to System Devices > scroll down to and right
click Intel(R) Management Engine Interface > Update driver software > Search Automatically for updated driver software.

Driver for Intel's Management Engine Interface (MEI)

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72314.exe

Regards.

☑ I do not work for HP, I volunteer.
☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
☑ I'm sorry but you do not answer questions privately.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

HI.

Please see that the bios has the default values of the bios:

1. F 10 at system startup
2. Go to the boot menu ... F9 to restore the default settings
3 Save and Exit.

Or do this if the above does not solve it:

Control Panel > Device Manager > scroll down to System Devices > scroll down to and right click Intel(R) Management Engine Interface > Properties > click tab Power Management > you should see an option that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Make sure this option is NOT checked and if it is, un-check it and click OK.

And while your at it try and update the drivers for Intel(R) Management Engine Interface, Go to:
Control Panel > Device Manager > scroll down to System Devices > scroll down to and right
click Intel(R) Management Engine Interface > Update driver software > Search Automatically for updated driver software.

Driver for Intel's Management Engine Interface (MEI)

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72314.exe

Regards.

☑ I do not work for HP, I volunteer.
☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
☑ I'm sorry but you do not answer questions privately.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.