Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-n031sa Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello forum folk,

Hoping to get a pointer to what's wrong with my laptop here, puzzling me at the moment. lifted my screen 3 days ago and it was if it was in sleep mode, I'd turned it off the previous night properly, anyhow, it tried to 'boot up ' and after about 4 seconds ( the power, wifi, hdd lights all on) it seems to turn off, still getting power from the USB ports though, close the lid, lift again and the same happens. Tried all the reset thingys , battery off, just AC, just battery and everything off then power button for 30 seconds, still the same, even stripped it down and pulled and put back the button cell, again, the same happens, certain occasions the screen displays my log in or windows diagnosis momentarily if I sneak up on it and if I use a magnet over the power button it'll be again in sleep mode, does this mean a new power switch board might fix it? Sorry for the drawn out explanation, it's quite difficult to pen. PS it was all fine before it started this little game, no indication of impending doom and it's nigh on 3 years old now so no warranty.

Yours gratefully,

Shaun ( puzzled out)😃

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi All,

Update to my problem, new power button board worked!!!

£13.69 all in, might be worth a punt if your struggling with what i had. just looked for hp 15-n series power button board on ebay. Don`t know if this was just component failure or something else caused it, time will tell and fingers crossed, hope this helps.

Cheers,

Shaun.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @smac64,

I hope you enjoy your visit to the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with a black screen when booting. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue.

Please look at the document for Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10).

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi Tardis40,

Thanks for the reply, had a look at your suggestion regarding this, think I done that when I first started my journey with this, didn`t put my laptop back to where it was, tried all sorts of `fixes` and It`s still not playing, I`ve ordered a new power button board, hoping this will work if not, I don`t know, maybe another 1 for the bin, this`ll be my 2nd hp laptop scrapped.

I`ll post the result when I receive and install the new board.

Cheers,

Shaun.

HP Recommended

Hi All,

Update to my problem, new power button board worked!!!

£13.69 all in, might be worth a punt if your struggling with what i had. just looked for hp 15-n series power button board on ebay. Don`t know if this was just component failure or something else caused it, time will tell and fingers crossed, hope this helps.

Cheers,

Shaun.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.