Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV5000
Microsoft Windows XP

Hey yall,

So I just got my mom's old HP Pavillion DV5000 (mo. dv5117ca) and when I power it on, there is no display, and the fan goes full speed then turns off. Blue lights on the top of the keyboard are still on. When I hold the power button for more than 5 seconds, it won't do a hard power-off. There is no Caps Lock light so that doesn't help.

I believe this is a RAM issue, because I took out the battery, and the IDE HDD and still shows no picture. I tried swapping ram sticks and still no picture, but now the disc drive is making noises.

If anyone can help, please do!

edit (10 minutes later): so i tried using one stick and when using the lower slot, I can hear the disc drive, but with the upper slot, there no noise. I don't know if it has to do with the channels.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@FrezzyYT 

Usually, when it is a RAM issue, there is beeping from the PC.  If you are getting no beeping, it is probably not the RAM.

Why would you think taking out the battery would get a display on the screen?

To determine the cause with hardware failures, you have to be able run diagnostics. We have no way of accessing your PC from here, so we can not do that for you. You have to do it yourself. You do this by pressing the Esc key repeatedly when rebooting and then, when the HP Startup Menu appears, selecting Diagnostics (usually F2) and letting it run.

But if it is NOT possible to run diagnostics, then there is NOTHING more you can do by yourself -- and there is NOTHING we can do.

You will need to have the PC physically examined in a service facility by folks that can run their own diagnostics to determine what is wrong with it. And the problem with that is, while HP does do repair work of some sorts on PCs still under warranty, they generally do NOT do repair work on PCs out of warranty because they are not a general purpose repair facility. You would have to contact them in advance to see (1) if they are willing to work on it, and (2) if they will provide you any kind of repair cost estimate.

Since you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center

If that link does not get you a useful page, then use the main HP link:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

If you can't get assistance from HP, then you will have to seek out a local laptop service facility to have them examine it for you.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

So I did this and Esc is not working. I did try it with my 2016 HP Laptop and Esc worked perfectly without a drive. This isn't a 2016 HP laptop we're talking about here. This is a 2005 HP laptop that does not have the same technology that a laptop that is 10 years newer. Solutions/help might be different for laptops that are 14-21 years old.

What might be the problem now is since the IDE hard drive is still not in, but the disc drive works sometimes when booting up. That didn't happen before when the hard drive was in. I believe the laptop is now looking for the hard drive. I'll give an update (tomorrow) for anything different.

HP Recommended

@FrezzyYT 

Sorry, I don't have a laptop that old -- but my DV6 is nearly that old and the Esc key works on it to launch into the BIOS settings and the HP startup menu.  So, I do not know why it does not work for your DV5000.

My guess is that with an older IDE drive, it has failed or is on the edge of failing and today, you're going to have a really hard time finding a replacement since most places have not sold IDE drives in years. I still have a few really old laptop drives sitting on a shelf and can remember when 10MB was considered a decent size drive!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I'm all good in assistance now. I fixed the laptop! Turns out it was a CMOS battery issue so now the laptop can successfully boot into windows XP home edition with no problems. Thanks for your help anyway!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.