Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-6b60se Entertainment Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been in the BIOS and put the USB options at the top of the start up order.

It has BIOS F.1B - 10/23/2012 

Product number is A6P38EA#ABV

Thought the Bios might not be the latest version, so visited HP update and it told me that there were no updates avaialble for my Notebook

Under normal boot since running Macrium Reflect I get the options to boot into Windows 10 option, or Macrium Reflect  Recovery.

I created a recovery USB drive in Windows for an upcoming hard drive change to SSD drive, as recommended in the howtogeek upgrade to a larger hard drive article. I discovered the inability to boot to the USB when testing booting with the recovery USB drive in place.

What is going wrong, any ideas ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Check for an option called Fast Startup in Windows. This basically logs the user off and puts the system into hibernation.

To check this go to the classic control panel, Power Options, and choose what the lid does when closed. If fast startup is enable disable it. I have seen many times where a hiberated system will not allow the user into the BIOS or boot menu. 

you can also try pressing esc on startup to enter the pause menu to select Boot menu.

Please remember to select the answer

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

Initial thought is Legacy/Secure boot settings.

The USB may only boot in Legacy Mode.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you checked UEFI boot menu? Is there an option for your USB device? Are you experiencing booting into the recorded image itself? Try using USB 2.0 port. Make sure USB boot is enabled in BIOS, disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Mode (as stated in previous answer, I'm a bit late).

Also moving from HDD to SSD in-place using software like Macrium probably won't work because of (likely) missing storage drivers.

Sincerely,

Hexawolf.

HP Recommended

Hi

This was a crazy American forum, it may still be.

Things like a Ford Cortina car is acceptable.

A Ford ***ort Mexico would be banned/barred because of the word E**ort.

Annoying if your model of PC or piece of hardware/software contravenes some list you don't know about.

See what I mean...

You used a bad word: *****. Please clean up the language and try again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Turn off the PC by holding the power button. Press the power button and continuously press ESC until the startup menu appears. Press F9 for boot menu. Do you see the USB in the list?

Try a different USB port.

You could also clone the drive to the new drive using software from the manufacturer of the SSD.

You could also perform a clean install of Windows 10 and have a "fresh start" on the new drive. You do not need a product key and you can create a bootable pendrive with Windows 10 on it from Microsoft support page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Check for an option called Fast Startup in Windows. This basically logs the user off and puts the system into hibernation.

To check this go to the classic control panel, Power Options, and choose what the lid does when closed. If fast startup is enable disable it. I have seen many times where a hiberated system will not allow the user into the BIOS or boot menu. 

you can also try pressing esc on startup to enter the pause menu to select Boot menu.

Please remember to select the answer
HP Recommended

Unchecking the fast start box worked ! I also changed what to do on closing lid from sleep to turn off.

Even Microsoft second line techs could not get this notebook to boot from the USB drive !20190321_162046 - Copy.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.