Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,

My daughter has a Pavillion g7 running on Windows 7, which will not load.  When the power button is pushed the fan spins, white power light comes on, the white light on the side comes on (does not flicker) and the broadband light comes on but stays orange in colour (does not turn white as when connected to broadband).

I have tried tapping F2, F8, F10 and F11 when pushing the power button.  I still cannot get passed the black screen.

I have tried the above on battery only and power lead ony, still no change.

Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanking you in advance for any suggestions.

Andy Baxter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I was going to do as you suggested but, the last time I attempted a boot up and failed, I closed the lid before removing the power lead. 

I plugged the power lead back in to follow your suggestions, lifted the lid and the laptop booted up!  Amazed.

Hopefully the problem is resolved.

Thank you for your input.

Andy Baxter

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

You could test the system to see if it is responding by pressing the "caps lock" on and off. If you see an LED light on the key itself light on and off it should mean the system is somewhat responding. Then it could be a display problem.

You could try closing the lid and opening it again as well. Sometimes that helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am an HP employee but not speaking on behalf of HP

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I was going to do as you suggested but, the last time I attempted a boot up and failed, I closed the lid before removing the power lead. 

I plugged the power lead back in to follow your suggestions, lifted the lid and the laptop booted up!  Amazed.

Hopefully the problem is resolved.

Thank you for your input.

Andy Baxter

HP Recommended

You are most welcome. I hope it solves the problem too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am an HP employee but not speaking on behalf of HP

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

HP Recommended

Hello Everyone,

Well it's back.  The black screen is once more upon us.  I have tried tapping, f2, f8, f10, f11 when starting up.  I have tried closing the lid and re-opening (worked last time).  I have tried shocking it by removing the battery and power lead etc.  I still get nothing.

Any other suggestions please?  By the way, the laptop is running Windows 7.

Many thanks

Andy

HP Recommended

Hello glassman1960,

You’re not able to get anything to load onto the screen.

Sometimes the back light will go out on the display, you can shine a flashlight onto the screen when the computer is on, and you might get a faint image.

Also try to connect an external display to the laptop, to make sure the display has not gone out.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.  I have tried plugging the laptop into a TV with no response so I don't think it's the backlight.  I have removed the hard drive and plugged that into a different laptop.  All the files are there so I don't think the hard drive is corrupt.

I am leaning towards a defunct motherboard.

HP Recommended

glassman1960,

Do a hard reset again.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

What was the last thing that happened when it was working?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have tried it and nothing happened.  The unit was working fine when last used.  There weren't any updates downloaded, it was closed down properly.  Next time it was used the lid was lifted, power button pressed as normal but all we got was a black screen.

When the power button is pressed the fan kicks in, the cd drive clicks but the caps lock key does not illuminate when pressed nor does the number lock key.

When the hard drive is removed, placed in an external cover then plugged into the laptop via USB, the drive power light comes on when the power button on the laptop is pressed but, does not stay on.  It seems that there is a power loss somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

glassman1960,

The only thing left to do is have someone check the board for any problems.

Have a good day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.