Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought the HP Spectre x360 13.3 inch. I traded it in for the HP Spectre x360 15.6 inch because the 15.6 inch was giving me problems with ghost clicking, and I also felt it was too big for what I need to use the laptop for.

On to my issue: The 13.3 Inch Spectre,  I noticed, runs hot instantly. From the moment I turned it on i felt heat being produced from the area where the USB 3.1 port is. The 15.6 inch Spectre did not give me this issue. It actually ran very cool and quietly, even after watching hours of movies. Does anyone else have this issue with the 13.3 inch Spectre? and should I be worried? I just bought the laptop today. I downloaded and installed all the updates. Should I return it?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

For past two months I have been using a Spectre X360 13 as my loaner test machine this year. I have not had any problems with heat. I would give it a couple of days to let all of the scans/updates  complete to see if it levels out. I have seen a couple of posts that mentioned it took a couple of days. You might also check Task Manager to see what process is using most cpu power.

OneDrive is notorious for high cpu useage when first started. If you are not using OneDrive to back up files look for the icon in System Tray and change the settings to keep it from starting up with Windows.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I allowed all updates to install and I also monitered my Task Manager. I did not notice anything running with excessive memory consumption. The highest % value that I noticed was a momentary 30%. For the most part, there is no task that seems to be causing the computer to produce so much heat.

I am not sure if I am just being paranoid because I had to return the last laptop due to performance issues after just one week. However, I find it strange that this laptop runs warm to touch when doing simple tasks and the 15.6 inch ran cold to touch while doing the same exact tasks.

If anybody has any advice, please share.

HP Recommended

CPU useage is where heat is generated-not Memory useage. I mentioned checking it to see if any process was causing high CPU %.

My loaner Spectre feels slighty warm on the speaker grill above the keyboard and on bottom of case in approximately same area. I can only suggest if you are feeling that uncomfortable about it -return it.

HP Recommended

I apologize, CPU usage is what I was referring to. 

That is the same location that I feel the heat in.

Thank you for your assistance. You've been very helpful.

HP Recommended

I have 2 Spectre x360 13's.  I was extremely frustrated by the heat.  I figured out the problem, and the solutions, and am happy to share.

First, high temps are tied to directly to high CPU useage.  Period.  When it gets hot, look at the CPU useage in Task Manager.  It's almost always pegged to 100%, which sends temps through the roof.  Here are ways to get the CPU useage down. I've done all of them, and my temps are now cool as a cucumber.  You may not like my suggestions because they require you to make compromises, but they solve the heat problem:

1. Delete HP support assitant and HP support solutions framework immediately.  For whatever reason, the Spectre 360's don't play well with these programs.  They spike the CPU for extended periods, pushing temps through the roof.  Don't bother deleting and re-installing.  It won't help.  Just delete and don't re-install. 
  2. Stop using Chrome.  Spectre 360's don't play well with Chrome.  Open multiple tabs in Chrome and then go to Task Manager, and you'll see multiple instances of Chrome running.  Each using the CPU, and each pushing temps up.  Switch to another browser.  I switched to Firefox and I am fine with it.  By the way, this problem seems to be unique to HP Spectre x 360's.  I have other laptops and desktops and CPU useage and temps are not an issue.
  3. Go to power options, then change plan settings, then change advanced power settings, then processor power management.  Change maximum processor state to 90%.  You''ll need to change it for each power plan that you use (HP recommended, high performance, power saver, etc.).  Obviously, there is  a performance hit, but honestly, I haven't noticed it.  Others have changed it to 95%, so if 90% is noticeable to you, change it to 95%.  90% works for me. 
  4. Install CPUID HWmonitor.  This is a simple resident program that allows you to monitor temps. 

I've done all of the above, and my CPU temps went from 65-75 idle and 85-95 at load (very hot),  to 35-45 idle and 55-65 at load.  Dramatic difference.  

Good luck.

HP Recommended

@mgibson99

All very good tips- most of which I have implemented on my loaner Spectre. As you mentioned- lot of folks won't like the suggestions so Kudos to you for speaking up!

HP support assistant and HP support solutions framework caused cpu spikes badly on my Spectre for a few weeks but soon leveled off. I agree with your  tip to just remove them if it continues to cause high cpu useage.

The cpu Power Options settings you changed- first thing I did on this Spectre.

I also turned off most Notifications in All settings,System- Notification & Actions.

I haven't had a problem with Chrome so I  may just be one of the lucky ones. I did make a change about letting Chrome continue to run in background when closed-can't remember how I even did that now.

Thanks for contributing to the thread!

HP Recommended

Its a shame we have to make any compromises at all on a brand new computer, and I'm not sure why HP doesn't address this.  There are NUMEROUS posts about heat issues, and when someone from HP responds, it's usually stuff that is not overly helpful (clean the vents, update the BIOS, etc).    Excessive heat seems to be a trademark of the Spectre x360. and an obvious design flaw. but I'm not aware that HP acknowledges this.   

HP Recommended

Excessive heat has been an issue on several models over the last few yrs- the cpu adjustment has often been used. As customers desire smaller/slimmer laptops- with less room for heat dissapation- and faster, more heat producing hardware we are forced to make adjustments. Most of which are not noticeable to performance as you mention.

Windows 10 with all of the bells & whistles also places a heavier load on machines.

HP Recommended

I have also had this issue with my HP Spectre X360 13 (8th gen). I am typing on it right now and have the HP support assistant and chrome running. Even though I am doing very light things the fans always turn on instantly and the speaker area is very hot. The fans are obnoxiously loud, even if I am just browsing the web. Is there anybody that does not have this issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.