Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13t-ae000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I was working with my notebook downloading some pictures from my phone when the computer went to a black screen that says "Boot Device Not Found, please install an operating system on your hard disk" 

Hard Disk - (3F0).

I tried running system diagnostics, hard drive check and I get a message saying that No hard Drive is installed.

I looked online and it said to try to change the boot options to "legacy" but this did not work.

Is there something else I can try?

Please help me, the computer is only one and a half years old! 

The details of the computer are: HP Spectre x360 13t-ae000  Prod ID 1WU65AV

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

If no Hard Disk Drive is present, then the Drive, its connection to the Main Board and the Main Board are suspect.

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your help. I tried the reset and running the Hardware test (F2) and when I try checking the hard drive I get a message saying "No hard drive installed. Please check that the power and other cables are connected properly".

Is there something else I could try? 

Also, I noticed a second issue, the computer appears to be magnetized. I had some screws in my desk and they get pulled by the computer in the ares surrounding the speakers in the bottom of the laptop and their corresponding spot on the screen side. Is this normal?

Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi

I am not sure.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=1WU65AV

lists an SPS magnet.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05811755 

I would try to use an OS, like W10 or Lubuntu, and attempt to fix the hard drive.

Before removing the solid-state drive, follow these steps:

1.Shut down the computer.

If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn the computer on, and then shut it down through the operating system.

It is possible the drive is locked by software and something like Gparted is what I would try to clear any 'dirty bit' setting.

But the fact that no HDD is reported may be a red herring, or a complete HDD failure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.