07-13-2019 01:18 AM - edited 07-13-2019 01:22 AM
My 1.8 year old laptop suddenly doesn't want to start.
When I press the power button the light on the power button goes on, as does the fan. The screen lights up for 1/10 of a second and then turns black while the fan keeps running and the light on the power button is still on. No other lights are shown on the key board
A few weeks ago a similar issue occurred which miraculously disappeared after 1 day.
I tried to resolve doing the following
- drain the battery completely (it is not removable)
- hold the power button for 40 seconds
- pressed windows key + B and power button till it turns off (also tried Z, X, C, V instead of B)
- connected to TV via HDMI (2 blank screens)
- I can't get into the BIOS via F2
From the forum I get the impression the motherboard malfunctions. Bit disappointing for a 1.8 years old laptop, which never left the house and was rather expensive as I aimed for quality and performance. I loved this laptop
Still hope there is a fix,
Solved! Go to Solution.
07-15-2019 01:10 PM
I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.
I am an HP Employee
07-20-2019 05:55 AM
I have contacted the HP call center and we concluded the motherboard died.
I did however learn one more trick which I want to share with the community:
It seems to be possible to start the Laptop using a BIOS which is on a USB stick:
- download Bios using a different PC
- Execute this on an other CD and select the option to put BIOS on USB stick
- shutdown the laptop with doesn't start
- Place USB Stick with the BIOS
- Press Win + V or B and hold it
- Turn on laptop by pressing power button
- Hold Win + V or B at least for 10 seconds
In case lights are flickering or beeps are heard the motherboard is still alive.
Unfortunately this was not the case for me so I have sent it to repair and replace the motherboard