Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-4050na

Hi all,

I've had my laptop for around 1.5yrs now but it recently stopped working and does not switch on. Pressing the power button causes the caps lock light to flash 5.3 (and the F5 keyboard light stays on constantly). After a few minutes, fan whirring noises can be heard but the screen remains black. I've followed all of the offered the troubleshooting steps (hard reset; attaching to external monitor.. etc.) but to no avail.

6 months over warranty and I'm incredibly worried and frustrated given the prevalence of similar issues with the Spectre x360 across the forum and given this was my first laptop purchase after much scrimping and saving. Was anticipating using this for at least 3 years and the experience has made me wary of what I believed to be a reputable and trustworthy brand. Echoing the thoughts of others with similar problems, I'm hoping for some resolution to this detrimental problem that does not push the price of purchase given that this appears to be a problem across the product! 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello, @HU-I – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for reaching out to HP support forums! I’d like to help!

I understand that your PC is not turning on. Appreciate all your troubleshooting efforts so far.

Did you try the steps mentioned here: http://hp.care/2oRGUgc

Also, if the issue persists, then it could be an issue with the PC BIOS. Go to Recovering the BIOS and see if you are able to restore the BIOS by using the button combination as suggested.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi @Dvortex, 

Thanks for your message! Unfortunately, I had come across both of these pages previously whilst trying to fix the problem; I did try them again but still no change. Additional support would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi @HU-I,

Let's try to initiate a System Diagnostics tests, these tests check the main components of your computer to make sure they are working properly. Use the following steps to run the diagnostics tests to check for problems:

1.) Press and hold the Power button until the computer turns off completely.

2.) Turn on the computer. Immediately press the Esc key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu is displayed.

3.) Press the F2 key. The System Diagnostics screen is displayed and the following menu is shown.

• System Information

• Start-Up Test

• Run-In Test

• Hard Disk Test

• Memory Test

• Battery Test

• Error Log

• Exit

4.) Click the test you want to run. Each test runs individually and displays the results.

Let me know the results.

**Please click  "Accept Solution" if this has resolved your issue.**

**Click on the "Thumbs Up Icon" on the left to say "thanks" for helping!**

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @senan6806 , 

Cheers for the reply; attempted this again in response to your message but despite following steps 1 and 2, no startup menu is displayed and the screen remains black. Anything else I can try? Increasingly worried as am now sharing symptoms outlined in the following threads:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Spectre-X360-motherboard-bu...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/I-have-experienced-the-same-pro...

HP Recommended

we have  Specre here in the family,  id never own such a fragile case, reminds me of  $1000 potato chip'.

first off , there is no CLASSIC VGA 15pin jack. what if you saw BIOS  plugged in like this? what would you think then?

but has one , sold extra, adaptor to get one.  id buy that next. (but wish i did, for my son)

a 15 pin jack is too thick,  hark ! whats next,  1/8" thicK? and phone buds can plug in?

since BIOS is dead, one can only assume ,it's a  power problem (no VGA jack tests)

tried a new power pack yet,  cheap fix if , is it.

then battery replace it. (that too is now burried.) and batteries, are what I call weak technology,(high failure rates)

those are the only cheap fixes.

hope for you I do its just  power pack the dog eat and damaged. yanking on it. or hit by hug AC line power surge or lightening hits. 

the pack can be checked with any volmeter made.

saving all the work of getting a new pack. guessing...

good luckl

ok seems you tried the HDMI port

so if thats dead

and power pack ok

and code 5 flash, means system board failure.

not sure what 5.3 means.

old code 5/3 is , imbedded controller timed out for waiting for BIOS.

i guess that means BIOS is dead. (no PnP pass through)

boy id be all  over power pack.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

the silly system double posted this, and i cant delete it, so ... here. is my edit.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice, savvy2. 

Unfortunately, given the lack of reasonable resolution from HP I will be escalating the issue and following up with the CPSC and its UK equivalents. The HP Spectre x360 13-4050na is not of satisfactory quality. The laptop screen continues to remain black; the forum is peppered with numerous similar complaints, all occurring within a similar timeframe post-purchase. It's clear there is a larger fault at work here and HP is not appropriately addressing these issues. I've taken the laptop to a repair company who advised that the motherboard was blown and requires a full replacement - an incredibly costly process, particularly given how much I've already spent on the purchase of this laptop, with the expectation it would last more than 1.5 years! Unacceptable and as previously stated, I will be chasing this issue up with the appropriate consumer rights bodies and if needed (ie. I continued to be given no appropriate resolutions, such as appropriate repair or replacement), to address the complaint with an ombudsman. 

HP Recommended

@HU-I

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

HP Recommended

I did all this suggestion but cannot help it...

now i can press power button and only f5 button  lights on... thers no beeping or blinking lights.. 

and screen remains blank (black)..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.