Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
  • My HP Stream Notebook PC 14 keeps shutting off, as in the screen just goes  black. I can try turn it on, sometimes it turns on for a few seconds then turns off, other times it just works as normal. But now and then, I can't use it at all because it just won't turn on. Strangely, when it does turn on, the cursor usually isn't on the screen and only appears after about a minute. It's fully charged and I have the charger plugged in. It has enough memory, and I have seen problems like this where laptops have overheated, but the HP Stream Notebook PC 14 has a solid state drive, and it never feels warm. Any help? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have resolved my issue. The problem was that the laptop casing near the area of the power button had become a little bit loose. Everytime I moved the laptop it must have activated the power button and turned if off. I had a look on the underside of the laptop, and found a screw underneath one of those rubber stickers in the corners. It turns out that it had loosened itself over time. I screwed it back in, the casing is now more tight, and the problem has stopped occuring.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @moreaupa,

I understand you are having an issue with screen going black or computer turning off. I will be glad to help you. The HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

Please post the full product number and operating system in use on your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Are there any error message?

Please get back to me and I will do all I can to help.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have resolved my issue. The problem was that the laptop casing near the area of the power button had become a little bit loose. Everytime I moved the laptop it must have activated the power button and turned if off. I had a look on the underside of the laptop, and found a screw underneath one of those rubber stickers in the corners. It turns out that it had loosened itself over time. I screwed it back in, the casing is now more tight, and the problem has stopped occuring.

HP Recommended

Had the same problem thought the kids had damaged the connection for the screen read your solution tightened a couple screws and it was fixed. thanks.

HP Recommended

I think you nailed it!  I had taken out that screw to change the screen because the other broke and lost that screw.  After reading your post I used the one from the other side and it works fine now!  Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

Further to my last post, the problem was in fact not fixed, and it required completely takong apart my laptop to get at the power button.  It has a thin short cable that connects it to the computer that I pushed in further.  Finally my problem is fixed!  If you have to do this though, make sure you get ALL the screws because 4 are coveredby plugs. Also when removing the cover, this cable is so short, you could pull it out accidently.

HP Recommended

Further to my last post, the problem was in fact not fixed, and it required completely taking apart my laptop to get at the power button.  It has a thin short cable that connects it to the computer that I pushed in further.  Finally my problem is fixed!  If you have to do this though, make sure you get ALL the screws because 4 are coveredby plugs. Also when removing the cover, this cable is so short, you could pull it out accidently.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.