Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15" (2017 model)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

So basically I am having this error. My laptop doesn't boot and it says no Hard Drive found.

It gives 3F0 error and fails to boot. When I go to diagnostics check by hitting f2, the memory test passes. However, when I click on the hard drive check, it says no hard drive found.

This error has been ongoing from a year now. However, it was very occassional, but from last month, it has been happening every day. Then I have to power off from button many times and try again and again and it boots up finally. Sometimes, it takes an hour of trying, sometimes work in few minutes etc.

My hard drive is 1TB SSD (built-in), I paid extra for it. It is ridiculous that a lapto that only got 2 years old is having this problem. Everything is in its geniuine condition, laptop is very cleanly used. Everything is fine once it boots up. I ran diagnostics check and every result got passed.

I do not know what to do.

I recently updated BIOS of my laptop as it was showing in HP centre. It started happening like that after. Before that this problem existed, but it was not that often.. like not everyday. used to happen once a week or so.

I have attached my system information page, bios version etc, this image --> https://imgur.com/3SaNzYe

This is hard disk info: https://imgur.com/7EtS9vE

Please note that everything came from HP as it is. Everything is built-in. I bought laptop from official HP website.

Please help me with it.

Is there any HP tech store in London, where can I get it checked. My system usage is very clean, it is not something that come from my side. My warranty has expired as I bought it in April 2017, can I purchase any carepack or something and get it fix with it.

But this is not my problem anyway, this is HP's low quality or what shall I say. They should help me with it anyway.

Let me know if anyone can suggest me a way out. Really frustrated to be honest. I have got a lot of important data in my laptop.

I'll appreciate kind response here.

regards

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@KingKhaliq Welcome to HP Forums Community!

Perform the following procedures to resolve this issue:

Procedure 1: Run diagnostics to rule out other hard drive issues.

1. Start or restart the computer - (Since I'm not sure which test you've done using F2, please try the below steps)
  2. Press F2 repeatedly during start up to enter the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI utility.
  3. Select Component Tests > Hard Drive > Quick Test.
  4. Select drive C:.
  5. Click Run Once.
  6. Once the test completes, results are displayed on screen. 

If the drive passes all tests, continue to Procedure 2

If the drive fails any of the tests, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) and contact HP Customer Support for further assistance.

Procedure 2: Ensure Legacy Support, under Boot Options, is DISABLED.

NOTE: If legacy boot support is enabled, you will NOT be able to see the Intel Optane entry as described in Procedure 3.

1. Start or restart the computer.
  2. Press F10 repeatedly during start up to enter the BIOS configuration utility.
  3. Check Legacy Support and disable if it is enabled: 

System Configuration > Boot Options > Legacy Support 

or 

Boot Options > legacy Support
  4. If Legacy Support is DISABLED, skip to Procedure 3, Step 3

If Legacy Support is ENABLED, change it to DISABLED, save the changes and exit, then go to Procedure 3.

Procedure 3. Determine if Optane memory is installed and working normally.

1. Start or restart the computer.
  2. Press F10 repeatedly during startup to enter the BIOS setup utility.
  3. Look for the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology option; navigate to: 

System Configuration > UEFI HII Configuration > Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology 

If Intel Optane is not listed, the computer does not have Optane memory or Optane memory is malfunctioning and cannot be detected. Contact HP Customer Support for further assistance. 

If Intel Optane is listed, the computer has Intel Optane memory installed and working normally. Continue with procedure 4.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 4 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have done procedure 1, but problem it that when it happens it says no hard drive is found. Its not like it detects harddrive and then don't proceed. It doesn't finds harddrive. After couple of restarts, it finds harddrive and when it does, it proceeds and computer works like normal.

I will do the rest of the procedures. I have 500GB of data in my laptop and its not backedup.. Shall I back it up first to start with the procedures? I will have to buy a new external drive to back it up..

HP Recommended

@KingKhaliq That would be a wise choice to do a complete backup before performing the suggested steps, just to be on a safer side,

If you have any other difficulties or queries, feel free to get back to us with the results of the steps.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

i have performed tests. 

I do not occur any problem.

except for the procedure 4, it says i do not have optane memory.  I checked my disk drives, i have got a samsung hard disk. Its 1tb ssd.

i have attached all the screenshots of the tests, can you please check once and see if i missed anything unusual?

Album link:  https://imgur.com/a/dUjlmSy

i have never changed any bios info, i did update the bios few months ago, when it started happening like everyday. Before, it used to happen once every couple months or something.

however, the problem is that, when it detects hard drive, everything works normal. It doesn’t fail until i put computer to sleep or turn off.

i do not understand this problem. Really frustrated with this. 

Please help me. 

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
HP Recommended

@KingKhaliq I recommend you re-run the h/w test diagnostic tool as one of the tests have been canceled, that said, everything else seems okay, I also suggest you complete the steps from the link as well, let me know how that pans out.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sir, I am still having this problem after all the tests are passed.. I am really frustrated. 6 out of 10 times it doesn't boot, have to keep trying and then it boots after many tries and works fine after that..

Please help me, this is really stressing me out.

HP Recommended

@KingKhaliq

Let's Restore the BIOS back to defaults

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.

2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.

3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.

4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.

5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?

6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

If the issue persists you can perform a Reset and you could try the data backup if you have important data

Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have tried everything I could.. but its just not happening for me. If laptop decides, it boots, if it doesn’t it doesn’t.. i have noticed if battery low, then it doesn’t agree to boot and keep giving 3f0 error. But that may be just me. 
Once it boots, it runs like new.

it is really frustrating me. 
can anybody please tell me how can I get my laptop checked from an authentic HP store in London, UK. Is there any Hp store in great britain?

i paid £2000 for the laptop and it is not fair that after a year, it is giving me some problem

like that..

let me know please. 
thanks

HP Recommended

@KingKhaliq I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options,

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.