Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV6
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Hey, so i was playing my fav game, and my laptop froze, i decided to reboot it and BOOM!,

Hard Disk Error 3F1

I got curious and ran an Hard disk diagnostics,
results are:

SMART: NOT INSTALLED
SHORT DST: NOT INSTALLED

After test i got error code 3F0, same after exiting from the BIOS. Beeping ends in menu of BIOS.
On other PC the disk is workiing. don't know what to do. Please help!

MODEL: HP PAVILION DV6
SYSTEM: WINDOWS 8.1 PRO 64-BIT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Dawid531​!

Usually this failure ID indicates that your HDD has failed and needs to be replaced, or there's an issue with the SATA controller on the board. There's a really great topic about how to troubleshoot this error, so if you want you can take a look:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Re-quot-Hard-Disk-3F0-BootDevic...

Hope this helps and let me know how it went. 🙂

Official WD Representative.
Please, Kudo me and choose as Answer if this post helped you! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
And i have SSD disk.
HP Recommended

Hi @Dawid531​!

Usually this failure ID indicates that your HDD has failed and needs to be replaced, or there's an issue with the SATA controller on the board. There's a really great topic about how to troubleshoot this error, so if you want you can take a look:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Re-quot-Hard-Disk-3F0-BootDevic...

Hope this helps and let me know how it went. 🙂

Official WD Representative.
Please, Kudo me and choose as Answer if this post helped you! 🙂

HP Recommended
Dorry, but this not helped me.
As i wrote,on startup i have 3F1 error, beeping from the hard disk stops after 30 seconds and i get 3F0 error, On hard drive test i get
SMART Check: NOT AVAILABLE
Short DST: NOT AVAILABLE
I Hope for helpful posts.
HP Recommended
Sorry *
HP Recommended

Thank you, it was SATA controller issue 🙂

Have a kudo! 😄

HP Recommended
Will u plz help me in solving the issue which were faced by u back in july
HP Recommended

Hi There,

We are experiencing issues with this too. The links included in these posts don't work anymore. We have a few PC's doing the same thing but some times they would work and sometimes we get the error. What did you do with the Sata controller to fix the issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.