Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP laptop 15t

Hello,

When I turn on my laptop it no longer goes to the sign on page it says “Hard disk error”. It  also says please install an operating system on the hard disk. When I do the diagnostics test it says Long Dst has failed and the smart check has passed. I’m unsure what to do next? Thank you for your help. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the hard drive test reported a Long DST failure code, the hard drive needs to be replaced and the operating system reinstalled.

Consult the maintenance and service guide for your specific model for the hard drive R & R procedure.

You may want to consider replacing the drive with a better performing, normally more reliable 2.5" solid state drive (SSD).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.