Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 2560p
Linux

Hi,

I have a laptop HP ELiteBook 2560p and I try to install Ubuntu on it.

The installation is correct but I have a boot problem.

Always the same message:

BootDevice Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk - (3F0)

And when I try to do a Hard Disk test, I have this message HardDisk Test Failed.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Thanks a lot.

Ponce

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You blew the install somehow.  Gotta set it on fire now...

Something went wrong with your install (obviously).  Somehow the boot sector of your HDD is corrupted or in some other way not correct.  This is easily fixed though, all you need to do is repartition the HDD and write the boot sector to the correct partition.

To do this on a non booting HDD, you'll have to boot the live USB you used for the install and mount the HDD and partition manually.

I recently did this exact thing and it still wouldn't read the boot partition, so I had to employ the /dev/zero trick to nuke the HDD so I could start over.

HP Recommended

$sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/PATH/TO/HDD bs=512

Example:

$sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512

This will fill the entire HDD with zeros, destroying any data on the disk, which will allow you to install like it was brand new.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much,

It is good.

I have run this command, then install Ubuntu and now the boot is correct.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.