Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example:Envy Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have been using Simplepass to login to windows10 at startup and has worked fine. Hurt my finger and now can't login by typing in my password. Have check to be sure correct password.  The blue circle just keeps going in a circle for hours.  Can't get into my computer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@E124

Sounds like "something" else is going on...

Although it is not recommended as a usual method to stop / start the machine, you might consider the "complete power" off method.  This is a controlled crash and shuts down the computer.

Press the power button for several seconds (10-15).  The system should shut down completely.

Wait a few seconds (just for due diligence) and then power on the computer as normal (press and release the power button).

The system, if it is able to do so, will boot normally and in doing so will read the Driver and Software settings from the Operating System installed on the computer as opposed to trying to read any settings / setup stored in memory (as typically used in "fast boot" operations that allows the computer to "boot up quickly").

Because we don't know what is causing your account to "spin", this may work or it may appear to make things worse.  For example, if there are hardware problems or if Windows Update has balked (had some sort of problem), the computer may (finally) give you some indication of the problem.  If the computer and the Operating System are healthy, the computer will just boot and you can try logging in.

If this makes you uncomfortable, don't do it.  Just wait until you feel ready to try regular booting.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@E124

If I understand you correctly, you cannot type on the keyboard due to an injury to your hand.

We do not have a solution if you cannot type your password and you have not previously set the fingerprint reader to use a different finger / hand / login method.

Generally, having set up the fingerprint login, you would still have the option to click on the login screen, then select to use your password, and then type your Windows password.  If you cannot to that, then you are likely going to need someone with you to help you manage the keyboard entry.

If the computer was "asleep" as opposed to "off" (shut down), then you can Restart the computer in hopes that the fingerprint / windows login manager will work after the Restart.

Click somewhere on the login screen

Look for either the Connection icon or the Power icon

If you do see the Power icon, click that, select Restart and have the computer restart.

If you do not see the Power icon and you do see the Connection icon,

Click on the connection icon, look for the Power icon to display,

Click on the Power icon, select Restart and have the computer restart.

Ease_of_Access-Icon_on_Login_Screen_1Ease_of_Access-Icon_on_Login_Screen_1

If Restarting does at least provide you a means of typing in your Windows password (click anyhwere on the login screen), you can try typing in your password with one hand.

OR

You are going to have to trust someone you know enough to give them your password.  (You can always change it later / after you are logged in).

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I can type. But when I type in my password the blue circle just goes round and round for hours.

I do have the buttons in the lower right to power off etc.  Tried restart, comes up to the simple pass screen, tap on the screen and box for password come up, type it in and the the blue circle starts and goes on for hours.  

Maybe will have to wait until my finger gets better.  I have my computer at work to use. 

HP Recommended

@E124

Sounds like "something" else is going on...

Although it is not recommended as a usual method to stop / start the machine, you might consider the "complete power" off method.  This is a controlled crash and shuts down the computer.

Press the power button for several seconds (10-15).  The system should shut down completely.

Wait a few seconds (just for due diligence) and then power on the computer as normal (press and release the power button).

The system, if it is able to do so, will boot normally and in doing so will read the Driver and Software settings from the Operating System installed on the computer as opposed to trying to read any settings / setup stored in memory (as typically used in "fast boot" operations that allows the computer to "boot up quickly").

Because we don't know what is causing your account to "spin", this may work or it may appear to make things worse.  For example, if there are hardware problems or if Windows Update has balked (had some sort of problem), the computer may (finally) give you some indication of the problem.  If the computer and the Operating System are healthy, the computer will just boot and you can try logging in.

If this makes you uncomfortable, don't do it.  Just wait until you feel ready to try regular booting.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

That worked.    Was able to login with my password.   

Thank you so much. 

I really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

@E124

You are welcome.

This is a known method to jolt the Operating System back into line.  It does assume the system is healthy, of course.

If you can do so, add another finger to your login - maybe one from the other hand.  Smiling.

Happy Computing.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Good idea.  Will do.

Maybe add my oldest son too. Just in case.

Thanks Again

HP Recommended

@E124

Just in case...

One of the things I have on each of my notebooks is an "extra" admin account (a local account that includes administrative privileges).  I do not typically use the account for everyday access; it is there in case I cannot for any reason use my Microsoft / fingerprint login setup on my main account.  This method provides me admin access to the computer regardless of what the "Windows logon / Hello / fingerprint" setup is doing (or not doing).

I call this my "Safe House" account setup.

Create a User Account with Administrative Privileges - Windows 10 / Windows 8.x

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.