Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 15 bc400nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have got an nvme ssd(Samsung 970 evo) i tried to boot from it from bios but it doesn't showing i have tried clone the hdd to ssd but when it finished i open bios and still no m2 ssd option only the original hdd. Help!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Giannisnik 

In order to boot from NVMe SSD, you need the following:

1) NVMe formatted GPT

2) BIos mode set to UEFI not CSM

3) Windows installed to the SSD in UEFI mode

Windows can  read and write NVMe drives because the drivers are built into Windows 10, but you must meet ALL the requirements above to boot from an NVMe drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have done all the requirements that you listed but except of the last one my ssd didn't show on the bios so i can choose it to boot so i clone the hdd to my ssd using Samsung migration tool but when i powered up the laptop after the migration finished the ssd was offline( i saw it from the disk management) and i turned it online but still no m2 drive in the UEFI

HP Recommended

@Giannisnik 

All three requirements must be met, not just the first two.

HP Recommended

I dont know how to do that requirement since i cant boot with my ssd if you have any other way to install windows to ssd please inform me thank you for your time

HP Recommended

@Giannisnik 

In order to boot from an NVMe drive, Windows must be installed in UEFI mode.

That means the drive must be formatted using GPT and the install media must support UEFI mode.

If you clone a drive booting in MBR/BIOS mode, that will NOT work.  

So basically, you can't do what you want to do with your current Windows installation.

However, if you swap the NVMe m.2 drive for a SATA m.2 drive, that will work because the SATA drive will boot without issues.

HP Recommended

I have installed Windows on the nvme while on UEFI mode but still the nvme ssd doesn't show up on boot option i have seen other forums about that topic and i come across one that said that the nvme ssd should be the only drive installed so it can boot from it. Should i remove my current hdd and power up the laptop to see if it boots from ssd ?

Thank you for your time

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.