Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My laptop is freezing up on me. When this happens the keys and mouse do not work. If I am listening to music when this happens, the sounds are slowed down and drawn out. I do not have a virus and it is not an overheating issue. Could someone please help me. Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

If both the above tests pass, try the following.

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you for you advice. I did what you suggested. I passed the first two test and the second test did not find anything wrong with my notebook. Do you have anymore suggestions about what may be wrong?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Hold down the Windows key and press R.  In to the Run box type msconfig and hit enter.  In the following window, click the Start up tab, remove the tick next to each start up item and then click Apply to make the change.  Reboot the notebook and see if it now runs normally.  If it does, re-enable one start up item at a time, click Apply and reboot to check if it still runs ok.  Keep doing this until you encounter the problem and you will know the last program you set to start is causing the freezing issue.

Let me know the results.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I'll help you better but i need the amount of RAM and HDD you have.

Hint:

The problem may be due to the less amount of RAM or if the amt of RAM is low and HDD size is very high. Or if any device doesn't work properly(like mainboard problems/ram problems) or the processor fans in laptop is not working properly.

** If your problem is solved then Mark this as Answer! **
** Please give Kudos If you want to Thank Me! **
HP Recommended
Hi mine shown on bios dignostics >primary hard disk self test result hard disk 1 quick (303) im using hp presario cq56 it does freeze and i have to format everytime it happend
HP Recommended

HI    

My laptop shows : hard disk primary test fail , ( @ 52% ) What to do next ? 

my laptop freezes so frequently 

Nishant

HP Recommended

hp laptop freezes after a few minutes on websites

HP Recommended

My laptop is HP COMPAQ PRESARIO C700

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone, I had this same problem with HP Envy 15-n210sia, it was freezing sometimes at the start-up screen, or at the Login screen, After running a myraid of tests with different HP Tools, nothing worked! But i noticed that the a part of the bottom was unusually hot, i grabbed my screw driver and discovered that the wifi radio(wifi chip,wifi hardware, not sure the proper name) was the culprit, it was unusually hot . Nevertheless before now the wifi connectivity has been having issues. I just unscrewed the wifi hardware and Voila My computer came back to life! Thank You Jesus!!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.