Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 15 bw033wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

High cpu usage since bios update. I can barely use the computer now. Please tell me how to flash back to the old bios file. I have had ongoing performance issues with this computer since the second or third month i've had it! This bios update made it much worse! Please help....

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @robam70, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand the CPU usage is very high and you have performance issues with your PC.

Also, I understand your concern and situation so don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

As you would like to downgrade the BIOS on your PC. I have found the previous version of BIOS.

You can downgrade the BIOS from F.30 from F.23 on your PC.

Download the BIOS using this link. Click Here

To resolve this issue, update HPSA (HP Support Assistant) to the latest version.

1. Open HP Support Assistant.

2. Select About.

3. Select Check for the latest version.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to update HPSA.

5. Confirm the Framework version is newer than version 12.5.32.203.

6. Restart the computer.

7. Open Task Manager.

8. Check the Processes or Performance tab.

9. Confirm the HP Support Solution Framework service is not utilizing all CPU resources.

10. Close Task Manager.

You can try updating other drivers on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try the steps recommended below.

Try performing the following ts steps:

1 - Right-click on any open space on your computer's taskbar.

2 -Select "Task Manager" and press "Enter."

3 -Select "View" from the Taskbar Manager's pull-down menu. If more than one computer is connected to your network, notice the graphs for all CPUs. Select "One Graph Per CPU." This will help determine which computers are using more processing time.

4 -Go to the "Applications" tab. Because this tab shows open programs in real time, you will be able to see exactly when a program has been opened and closed at the time that it occurs. Identify and close selected programs by highlighting each one separately and clicking on "End Task" to free up processing time. (Important: Make sure all work is saved prior to closing any programs.)

5 -Go to the "Processes" tab and view them, but do not delete any of them unless absolutely necessary. All of the hidden system processes and programs are listed here. (Note: See Warnings section.)

6 -Set your computer's cooling fan to "Auto." Next, slide the Processing Speed scale to "3-4." Slide the Cooling Method scale to the middle of the range. These settings will slow down the CPU when needed

Also, Hit Win Key + R
Type in “Regedit” and then hit Enter.
Go to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management’
Find ‘ClearPageFileAtShutDown’ and change its value to 1
Restart the computer

Also, try the steps recommended below.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.
If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.
In Windows, open a web browser.
   NOTE:
You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.
In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.
Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.
If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot lock up or freezing issues with PC. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03408309

Lastly, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark an accepted solution for this post.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help but I was unable to flash back to the old bios. The dialog box option is shaded so I can't click it. I only have the option to save to a flash drive or a location on the computer. I guess i will try other things you mentioned because this computer is unusable in it's current state. It take for ever just to open a browser or other apps. Before the bios update it was at least a usable machine....

HP Recommended

@robam70, Thanks for your quick response and time.

You did a Marvelous job by trying the steps recommended previously.

As you mentioned you have issues downgrading the BIOS to a previous version.

I would suggest you try other steps recommended from my previous post and check if the issue persists.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Try performing a push button reset on your PC.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a push button reset. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@robam70

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely contact you early next week. We thank you for your patience.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@robam70

Read through this Advisory at Microsoft. Number 18 in the FAQ may help:

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/ADV180002

KB4078130 makes the registry changes needed.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4078130

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.