Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 ba002ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I bought the notebook I removed Windows 10 and installed Windows 7 because I found Windows 10 horrible.

It then had only the EFI, MSR, system and data partitions. The boot menu was a simple text menu. With an F-key you could get all boot options.

Now I installed Windows 10 parallel to Windows 7. Now there is an additional OEM partition with 735MB, a black boot screen with hp logo and afterwards a graphic blue boot menu. These take longer to boot and the menu is so impractical that I even don't find the safe mode for both installed OS.

Can I simply remove the OEM partition and the system will still boot?

How can I get rid of the graphic boot menu and get back the simple but more practical text menu?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@bege10 

The graphical boot menu is known as the Metro Boot screen -- and that is installed by default in Win8 and newer.  Since you already had Win7 on the PC, it most likely includes and entry for that, as well.

If you remove that, you will no longer be able to boot into Win10

If your PC had a prior System Reserved partition that contained the Win7 boot loader files, then those got overwritten by Win10 -- so they are not available anymore.

You can rewrite those so that both Win7 and Win10 boot from that partition using the older text loader, but that is considerable work, and if you make a mistake, you won't be able to boot your PC at all.

You can search online for "remove graphical boot menu win10" to find instructions and products for doing this -- but you do this at your own risk.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer.

I will look for how to remove the Metro boot screen and then decide whether I will do so.

Yes, both OS are available in the boot screen. Can you, please, tell me how to boot into safe mode of either OS from the Metro boot screen? I don't find that option.

And can you tell me something about the other part of my question, can I safely remove the OEM partition or is that somehow connected to booting the computer? I don't need it for restoring because I use other tools for that.

HP Recommended

@bege10 

There is no "safe mode" as far as I know on Ubuntu, so I can't tell you how to boot into that.

As to Win10, here are the instructions:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-boot-into-safe-mode-windows-10-a.html

As to the OEM partition, I have no idea as I upgraded several HP Win7 PCs to Win10 and none of them have OEM partitions.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer. I found the "well hidden" safe mode for Windows 10. I have Windows 7 parallel to Windows 10 on my computer, not Ubuntu. I did not find a way to boot into safe mode of Windows 7.

About the OEM partition I was as astonished as you. All I found about it was that it can be removed without problems but I am not sure about it. Maybe I need to boot a Linux-CD to examine this partition from there as it is not accessible from Windows.

Maybe someone else knows about the contents and function of the OEM partition?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.