Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY TouchSmart 17-j130us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On the morning of Nov. 13, I opened my 2014 HP Envy TouchSmart 17" notebook to find it locked in a Windows Automatic Repair loop. I ran boot diagnostics and received short DST failure code QC601S-785A9W-MFGH7F-60VE03. This was a first-time lockout occurrence, and I think that Microsoft updated my Windows 10 the previous night (I can't get into the Windows GUI to find out). I learned from this Website that a short DST failure could be caused by many things, so I did some further diagnosis on my HDD. I ran chkdsk /f /r on C: drive, and found no significant problems. Windows fixed minor issues, then I ran diskpart sel disk 0, list partition and list volume, and learned that my C: drive is a GPT drive, and all volume partitions are healthy. I also noticed that my HP Envy HDD is happily communicating with the network backup drive (WD MyBook Live), even though I cannot access the Windows GUI. Since the HP Recovery utility was unable to help with repairs, I downloaded "Windows 10 bootable Media Creation Tool for another computer" to a USB drive on this notebook, and booted up the HP Envy with it (the Envy would not boot to the internal HP Recovery Tool). My plan was to get into a recovery mode Windows 10 GUI so I could access some Windows 10 configuration tools, but when I found a Startup Repair option in the Media Creation Tool recovery selections, I decided to try it again. I started that repair about 13-1/2 hours ago, and it still seems to be running. Right now, I'm looking at a black screen with an arrow cursor that I can move with my mouse, and a normal rotating "working" circle attached to it that randomly blinks on and off fairly rapidly during rotation, while the upper edge of my normally-hidden task bar blinks on and off in a separate random sequence at the bottom of my screen (the whole taskbar is not visible). I have the following four questions: 

1. How long should I let Startup Repair run before I give up on it and take my chances with a Windows 10 clean install?

2. If I shut down Startup Repair before it is finished, would I risk data corruption?

3. If I stop Startup Repair, how should I do it with the least risk to my system?

4. After Startup Repair is finished (one way or the other), I will first try to reboot normally. If that still doesn't work, any recommendations for next steps? I'm a little leery about trying a Windows 10 clean install from the USB drive before I have GUI access to the installed Windows 10.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@wackyjobber 

It is much better to ask Microsoft team. My answers

• A1. Depending on how seriously of the problem(s), it can take 5 mins to days or will come back and try the loop again and again.
  • A2. Depending on what it is doing (in the dark) therefore no way we can tell. But Windows 10 is better now therefore files corruption is minimum. Again if due to physical hard drive problem, we would not tell
  • A3. ditto
  • A4. You can do a clean install Windows 10 and keep your data/files (if not due to HDD damages).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.