Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Linux

My aim is to install Linux from my HP Probook 440 G2 laptop DVD drive.

When I bring up the laptop, I hit the F9 key and that brings up the following menu:

ESC

Please Select

OS Boot Manager

Notebook Ethernet IPV4

Notebook Ethernet IPV6

Boot From EFI File

If I select "OS Boot Manager", the laptop boots into Windows. I do not see a boot manager window. This seems strange to me.

Can someone help with the sequence I should go through so that the laptop will boot from the DVD drive?

Jim Anderson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jjanderson52:

If your probook 440 G2 has the same bios interface as my probook 650 G1, you can find the secure boot setting in Boot Options in Advanced. See the screenshot below. If your bios has a checkmark on Secure Boot, just uncheck it and save and exit to restart. If you see Secure Boot already unchecked, change Boot Mode to Legacy from UEFI Native, as I heard that some types of Linux installation setup need to be booted from legacy mode. Also, while you are in Boot Options menu, make sure CD-Rom Boot is checked. It should be listed on the upper part of Boot Options.

IMG_20220911_160147476 (3).jpg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, Jim:

You need to go into the BIOS and disable Secure boot and then you should be able to boot from the DVD drive.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

You instructed me to "go into the BIOS and disable Secure boot".

It is not clear to me how to do this.

When I go into the BIOS, I navigate to a screen with 3 tabs: Main, Security and Advanced. I select the "Security" screen and that window has  multiple selections. I selected "Set Security Level". The "Set Security Level"  had a number of items, and I selected the item titled "SecureBoot" which has the following choices:

Change
       View
      Hide

The original setting was "View". I have experimented with each of these settings and have seen no change in behavior. To be honest, I would expect the choice to be "on" or "off", not "Change", "View", or "Hide". Have I navigated to the correct screen in the BIOS setup?

Jim

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't have a Probook 440 G2, so I don't know what the BIOS settings look like.

This is a general info page for how to boot from a DVD:

HP Notebook PCs - Cannot Start Notebook Computer From a Bootable CD or DVD | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

By the way, I think the following is strange with this laptop:

When I boot the laptop, I hit the F-9 function key. The "Boot Options" screen comes up. If I select the choice "OS Boot Manager", the laptop completes booting and brings up the login screen. It does not bring up the boot manager. I have found that if I do some abnormal things, I can bring up the boot manager.

Very weird and I do believe the boot sequence on this laptop is not normal.

Jim

HP Recommended

Hi, Jim:

I think when you have secure boot enabled, you don't get many options in the F9 menu.

When I have secure boot disabled, I can boot from an EFI USB flash drive or EFI DVD drive.

On some PC's I have to also have legacy mode enabled to boot from other sources.

HP Recommended

@Jjanderson52:

If your probook 440 G2 has the same bios interface as my probook 650 G1, you can find the secure boot setting in Boot Options in Advanced. See the screenshot below. If your bios has a checkmark on Secure Boot, just uncheck it and save and exit to restart. If you see Secure Boot already unchecked, change Boot Mode to Legacy from UEFI Native, as I heard that some types of Linux installation setup need to be booted from legacy mode. Also, while you are in Boot Options menu, make sure CD-Rom Boot is checked. It should be listed on the upper part of Boot Options.

IMG_20220911_160147476 (3).jpg

HP Recommended

@Tk_srq

I'm apologize taking a few days getting back here. I got the laptop working 2 days ago.

FYI, I found that the laptop was in secure mode and that your instructions for getting it out of secure mode worked well. I also setup to boot in legacy mode. These two items together got me to the point where I could read the installation DVD that I used.

Thank you!!

Jim A.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.