Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP elitebook 8760w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does HP 8760w Elitebook support UEFI boot?

I want to convert SSD 512gb to GPT from MBR  partition style for windows and d drive.

i dont know if im using preboot authentication and drive lock. i did found where  Drive lock is and it is enabled but dont know where the preboot is?

It has the latest version installed of Bios - F.66.

In the Bios, UEFI boot mode is under Boot option. and give this message when choosing it.

"Warning:

The UEFI Boot option on this system is provided for development purposes only and is currently not fully supported or warranted by HP. 

PReboot authentication and drive lock are currently NOT supported under the UEFI Boot mode.

Hp strongly recommends disabling PReboot Authentication and Drive Lock before enabling UEFI Bott on this system."

Accept or cancel buttons.

I haven't accepted it yet so need guidance should i change the boot mode for this notebook, as i want to convert my ssd to gpt, as i have converted my hdd to gpt from mbr and that is being used as a storage device now.

Under UEFI BOOT Order these option are only shown;

Notebook upgrade Bay (UEFI)

OS Boot Manager

Notebook Ethernet (UEFI)

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

It appears that you would need to make a W10 installation DVD and boot it from the UEFI upgrade bay (which should be the DVD drive).

The problem is the newer releases of W10 don't fit on a standard DVD, so you would need to install an older version and then update it to the latest one.

Since this is an experiment, I suggest that you use the free Macrium reflect software to make a system image of your current installation.   You can store it on a portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the download under the Backup at Home on the left side of the webpage.

The tool will also have you make a bootable recovery DVD or USB flash drive that you can boot from to access the system image stored on it.

If you want to experiment, let me know and I will give you the link to an older W10 ISO English 64 bit ISO file that can be used with a standard DVD.

HP Recommended

okay i dont mind to try if i can use uefi boot.

As concerning the warning, should i turn UEFI boot on, in the first place?

second, if it is safe, is it better to reinstall the windows again from zero or try the trick where you dont have to delete the windows and change something's videos on youtube.

HP Recommended

Hi:

What will happen if you turn UEFI boot on is the notebook won't boot up because GPT formatted drives use a different boot structure than MBR drives.

There is a free way to convert a MBR system disk to GPT, and I tried it, and it couldn't find the drive.

Maybe it will work for you but make sure you make that system image and rescue media first before trying.

Convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT Tool in Windows 10 V1703 or Later (partitionwizard.com)

Otherwise you will have to pay to use software that will do this for you without reinstalling Windows.

When you run the freeware to convert the disk to GPT, it will open a webpage and tell you to buy the Pro version,

Free Partition Manager for Windows PC-AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard (aomeitech.com)

If that doesn't work for you either, here is a link to the last W10 ISO file you can fit on a standard DVD...

It is version 2004...the link will be good for 24 hours from the time of my reply.

https://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win10_2004_English_x64.iso?t=1e3cbc37-de2c-4b90-a812-d6d0...

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you can use to transfer the ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable, or you can use a DVD burning program that burns ISO files to DVD's so that they are bootable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.