Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion 13
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Hi,
my Pavilion 13 keeps rebooting before even reaching the bios or any other menu. the Power button turns on, I can briefely hear the fan and the hard drive but then pc reboots without the blinking of any light.

Any suggestion please ?
thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@nesrinec

Thank you for the update,

Since the recovery process is also being interrupted,
It looks like it is a hardware failure within the motherboard and requires a replacement/service,

Please contact HP for further assistance

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@nesrinec 

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the computer is powering on but there's no display on the screen and it reboots on its own, 
To provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you performed any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

In the meantime, you perform the below steps:

Perform a hard reset (click here for details)

If the computer still turns off every few seconds, try with an alternate adapter and/or remove the battery and try turning on the computer without the battery, 

only connect the adapter and start, let me know if that works.

Eagerly waiting for your response!
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've been struggling with it since my last post. I believe the laptop product number is J3T78EA#ABU, if not please let me know.

I did indeed try various things. After almost a day of continues rebooting prior to reaching the BIOS, the laptop did load the OS (Microsoft 8.1). I did a hard reset, I also ran the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (all was OK), I also managed to reset it to the factory settings but it keeps rebooting randomly (at the start, once OS loaded, few times in a row ...).#

Do you believe this might be related to the HDD ? or OS ? or other ?
The question is really whether it is worth investing money and time to change the HDD and get a new Windows license (shame OS discs not provided anymore ....)

Thanks for the help 😉

Nes

HP Recommended

@nesrinec 

Thank you for replying,

Considering the fact that you've already reinstalled the windows and yet the issue persists, I would recommend running a hardware test on the hard drive to be on safer side and confirm the cause of this failure: Click here for details on diagnostics tool.

Please reply with the test results, in case it fails - capture the error code and reply with it for further assistance,

If it passes and i hope it does, you may need to order a recovery media from HP online by clicking here

If the inbuilt recovery partition is corrupted, that may have been the issue all along and hence would require a fresh OEM copy of the windows from HP for a clean installation.

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
So the hard drive test failed (details below)

PC Hardware Diagnostics Test Failed

PC Hardware Diagnostics Test Failed:
Test Name: HPAdvSysDiag_HardDrive
Failure ID: RUQ2K1-7B489J-MFPV7F-60TU03
Product Number: J3T78EA

HP Recommended

@nesrinec 

The failure ID you've captured represents the Hard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

It's an eminent failure and Its strongly recommended to backup all your data and contact HP for a hard drive replacement,

Alternatively, you can also order the replacement parts at the HP Parts store: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,

Regards

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Luckily data were backed up a while ago when this mess started.
If I replace the hard drive with a new one would I be able to reinstall the OS from the recovery saved on a USB ? or does it imply getting a newWindows liscence ?
Thanks
HP Recommended

@nesrinec 

Thank you for replying,

I'm glad your data is safe as well 🙂

And you're right, you can use the same recovery media on USB, if it had been created on your PC as it's specific to your serial number.

If it doesn't work as such you can always contact HP and get a replacement of the same recovery media: Click here

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I m back again ! so it seems that the random reboots are not due to the hard drive only after all.
I have changed to a new hard drive and changed the booting options to USB where I have my HP recovery files.The laptop starts and displays the Hp menu for the recovery ( factory reset, compter check up, support and file back up) but keeps rebooting randomly on themenu or while the recovery process.
HP Recommended

@nesrinec

Since the recovery process is also being interrupted,
It looks like it is a hardware failure within the motherboard and requires a replacement/service,

Please contact HP for further assistance

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.