Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 450 g4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all, i have problem with power on authenricator. Imposible run BIOS. Fingerprint, password anythink doesnt work. Hp support for Czech Republik cant help me. Authorized service told me, you must change whole motherboard. I trust, this is bug of the bad hp software. Bad is on HP site and expensive repair pay custommers. Horible. I'm wery angry. How i can to solve it? Sorry for my english. 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Russty84 

Basically, you can't!  What you were told is correct -- in that the power-on password is encrypted into the firmware of a chip soldered to the system board and is thus, not replaceable.  Since HP does not remove and replace individual chips, their approach is to replace the entire board.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

This password is writed on BIOS chip? I might try it rewrite with new BIOS or replace (re-soldering). Do you think, this is the way? 

HP Recommended

@Russty84 

To reprogram the  BIOS chip you would need not only a BIOS programming tool but also the BIOS source code -- and HP does not provide that code to folks.  So, there is no way to program your own chip.

HP Recommended

@WAWood

I was buy BIOS programing tool and try it. I have nothing to lose. Then i will write if it succeeds. Thank you for your support for this time. 

HP Recommended

@Russty84 

It's not my decision -- I'm just a part-time volunteer that supports the forums.  The decision to not make the stuff available is HP's.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and HP said that I have to replace my motherboard and refuses to replace free of charge.  I think it is not my problem and I feel it is very unfair for me to pay although it is not my fault.

HP Recommended

@KohTJ 

Understand, I'm not DEFENDING the HP policy; instead, I'm just EXPLAINING IT.

Power-on passwords, like BIOS passwords, are encoded in the firmware burned into a chip on the motherboard.  To change such passwords, you need the following:

1) chip "burner" -- to reflash the BIOS chip

2) source code for the BIOS

3) socketed chip

Once you have those, you do the following:

1) remove the BIOS chip from the socket on the motherboard

2) insert the BIOS chip into the socket on the chip "burner

3) load the BIOS source code into the chip "burner"

4) proceed with flashing the chip

5) when done, remove the chip from the "burner" and replace it into the motherboard

The chip in the case of HP motherboards is SOLDERED, not SOCKETED; thus, it is not removable.  So even if you had (1) a chip "burner" (which I guess you do NOT have), and (2) the BIOS source code (which you can not get), you could not change the password encoded into the chip.

So, HP's policy, since they can't replace or reprogram the chip, is to replace the motherboard with one with a BIOS chip that does not have a password encoded into it.

HP Recommended

Dear WAWood,

Thanks for explaining.

Just to share a bit more background info.

I bought my first HP laptop 2 weeks back.  I started using it 1 week ago and I installed the HP Security Manager, and other HP software (I think it is HP Assist). 

During the process, it prompted me to register my index and middle finger for finger recognition.

When I power on the next day, I got this screen "Power-On Authentication".

I keyed in my password, it didn't work.

I used my index and middle finger, it didn't recognize my fingerprints.

I don't know what happened and I don't know why the Power-On Authentication can't even recognize my password and even my Finger Prints???

Up to now, I don't know which application triggered this Power-On Authentication and it can't even recognize my fingerprints???

I am advised to replace the motherboard (given a big discount) but I think there is a bug with the software.

Maybe someone can shine some light on this?

HP Recommended

@KohTJ 

OK ... well that is a different situation -- and I wish we could help you with that, but forum policies prohibit us with assisting folks in bypassing security measures.  Yeah, another HP policy.

What I suggest is you use this contact information to see if you can get someone in HP to help you  -- and if they can't or won't, then have them give you information for contacting HP to return your laptop -- because you should not have to put up with stuff like this with a new PC.

Since you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/us-en/service-center

If that link does not provide you sufficient information, then use the main HP link:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

I've found those links to be unreliable if you're using Win10 and the new Edge Browser; so if you are, you need to use something else, like FireFox.

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.