Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP model RTL8723BE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I turned on my laptop all I can see is the screen as usual and my icons.  Whereas before the task bar had a variety of icons eg files skype internet etc that has gone.   Also  the window icon at bottom left to access windows 10 ifo and settings etc plus the TYPE HERE TO SEARCH box will not work.  I can get into the web pages via my other browser icon on screen but only that way.

is there a lock on the keyboard that maybe I am not aware of this is quite a new laptop

ty for any help

Joanie4

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @Joanie4, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand icons on the taskbar are missing from your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

First, use Windows key + X to open the Quick Link menu. From here, you can launch a Command Prompt with administrator credentials, which is required to open the Disk Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool that we’ll be putting into action to make this fix.

Use the following code in the resulting prompt, and you should find that your Taskbar returns to its normal state:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Run SFC (System File Checker) scan.
Right click on Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
Type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
After the scan is complete, type “exit” and press Enter.

Run the App troubleshooter.
Type “Troubleshooting” in the search box and press Enter.
Click on ‘View All’ on the top left pane.
Click on “Windows Store Apps” from the list and follow the on-screen prompts for troubleshooting.

If the issue still persists create a new user account and check if it helps.

To create a new user account, open up the Settings app (Windows key + I) and navigate to Accounts > Family & Other Users. Under the Other Users section, select the option that reads Add someone else to this PC.

You can then work your way through the account creation process — although if you’re replacing your own user account, you might want to choose the I don’t have this person’s sign-in information and Add a user without a Microsoft account options to avoid any confusion with your original login.

Let me know if this works! 
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.