Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-6108us Entertainment Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Iv recently update my 

Hpdv6-6108us Entertainment Notebook PC

To windows 10 it's running good audio good display is good

I'm just wondering I used aomei to clone my hard drive 

To a wd my passport 1tb external ssd and it's showing

A blue screen with inaccessible boot device I updated the graphic card

And audio that's it I'm wondering if I need to update anything

With the bios in order to be able to boot from the clone driver

It was originally windows 7 home and now it's windows 10 and activated

Please help me can I still update the bios after the fact iv installed windows 10

I need some help I'd like to be able to boot from my cloned drive what can I do

Should I install the bios update or uefi bios tools or what should I install ? 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Pmp2020 

when you CLONE an OS to another drive, you need to copy more than the OS partition.

I have not used AOMEI, so I don't know how it works -- but I use Macrium Reflect and it has an option to automatically select ALL the partitions needed to clone the OS and supporting partitions.

If all you did was clone the OS partition, that is not enough -- but you can REPAIR that partition to add boot records by reading below ...

Windows PCs use two different sets of files to get you to a working desktop.

In terms of the first, Windows boot files, a way around that is to follow the instructions below to create boot media from Macrium Reflect (MR) that can be used to rewrite/repair the boot media on your PC:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from this link on a working PC: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

That will create MR bootable media. Then, you can boot your PC into WinPE using that media.

Have patience, as that can take a while to start and bring up the screen.

Once the screen is there, select the option to Fix Windows boot problems. It will then search for the OSs installed and list them, Select the one you want to repair and click Next.

It will now do the repairs, listing the things it has done.

When finished, select the option to Restart the PC.

If this worked, the boot repair succeeded and you will have your PC back.

But if it did not, the Windows system files are most likely corrupted and you would have to reinstall Windows from scratch to fix that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

i was wondering i didnt do a bios update before i updated to windows 10 pro so i dont think my system has uefi or what ever in order to boot from usb/ if i update it will it include that option to boot from usb and what do i do first do i install the bios update and then the uefi 

HP Recommended

I updated my bios to f.21 I have aomei and macrium now I installed uefi suppourt but my only options in bios are changing the boot order and svm  if you can take a look at the drivers and software upgrades for my pc can you tell me how !! Do I create a functional OS to boot from my 1tb my passport external ssd

HP Recommended

@Pmp2020 

Sorry, but I do not get into the internals of BIOS issues -- there are too many of them and they are too complicated.

As to booting Windows from an external device, I do not believe that is possible.  Win10 used to have a function to do that, but it was only available with the Enterprise version and they quit supporting that some time back.

HP Recommended

I have installed too many programs to boost my pc 

If I do a clean install of windows 10 pro iso will my driver's stay the same like the 6520g ghrapic card and etc if I choose to erase everything and install what is my best possible course to start fresh with a smooth running pc do I deleted the recovery drive from the windows 7 after I upgraded to windows 10 I only have  the system , C drive and hp tools  I guess my questions are. 

1. Can I do a clean install and keep the updated drivers 

2. Does hp tools stay if I do a reset and do or don't keep personal files or if I choose the option to erase and install will the hp tools and drivers and everything stay 

What is my best course of action to get my pc new and still maintain it's required tools and drivers and programs to run

HP Recommended

@Pmp2020 

Let me try to answer your questions ...

Any upgrade from preloaded Win7 to Win10 corrupts the HP recovery information -- so after that, no rollback to Win7 will work.  It might APPEAR to work but it will not, in the end.

Clean install erases everything -- so the drivers would be gone, along with everything else.  But you can mitigate that if you follow the instructions in this thread for saving your drivers to external media (USB stick): https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68426-backup-restore-device-drivers-windows-10-a.html

Then after the clean install, you can restore the HP drivers you saved.

There are different kinds of resets -- but they generally erase the entire drive.  If you do a factory reset, that removes all the partitions but it also recreates them.  So, you will get the HP Tools partition restored.

There is no restore that retains your programs.  The factory reset only restores the HP utilities.  Nothing is saved from the current setup.

The difference between reinstalling using MS media and using HP media is that the second restores the HP utilities, apps and drivers; the first does not.  IF you save the drivers, with an MS reinstall, you still do not get the HP apps and utilities back.

The choice is really up to you.  If you want more details about the reinstallation options, I can provide them.

HP Recommended

Yes please will you help me with reinstallation instructions I'll save the drivers using the .bat file

My pc fan is on overload and the pc is slowing down the left back side runs really hot so I need to know what options to choose to start fresh 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.