Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP15.6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop would not install updates and said to retry.After 3 attempts I tried a system restore that also failed.I tried again buy got a failure message with the above code stating I needed to install an OS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @JEC62 

You needed to type a zero in second string instead of a capital letter 'O'.  It is a common oversight.

Here is the report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
Q4JL8C-A0FAHE-XD7XHA-60W103OKXXXXXXXXXX2/15/21303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

You will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

HP 15 Laptop PC (Intel)HP 15g Laptop PCHP 15q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

You may want to consider replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" solid state drive (SSD).

After you replace the drive, you can use the HP cloud recovery tool with another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JEC62 

The tool we use to translate error codes says the one you provided is invalid and that usually means a typo in it.  If you recheck the code and enter a valid one, we can tell you what it means.

This issue is often due to a failing drive. So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.
If the drive checks out OK, then report that and I can provide you options for reinstalling Windows on your PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @JEC62 

You needed to type a zero in second string instead of a capital letter 'O'.  It is a common oversight.

Here is the report generated by the code you posted, minus your notebook's serial number.

Failure Information
Failure ID Tag Checksum HP Serial Number Test Date Failure Code Device Includes Error Message
Q4JL8C-A0FAHE-XD7XHA-60W103OKXXXXXXXXXX2/15/21303StorageFloppy Drive, Hard Drive, Memory Drive, Optical Drive, SCSI, Tape DriveHard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure

You will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

HP 15 Laptop PC (Intel)HP 15g Laptop PCHP 15q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

You may want to consider replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" solid state drive (SSD).

After you replace the drive, you can use the HP cloud recovery tool with another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hello
it can be a material problem!
You can try several things in order to try to recover your data, I give some explanations here, but in French!

que faire en cas d' erreur / échec dst du disque dur - HP Support Community - 7338574

You can try a bootable cd / dvd type live cd (linux)

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-retrieve-windows-files-using-a-linux-live-cd/

you can try removing the hard drive, in order to connect it to another computer internally, or with a usb adapter!

https://www.muo.com/tag/connect-get-data-off-hard-drive/
If your disk is not completely out of order, this gives you a small chance

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your explanation and resolution to my issue.I was planning on getting a better hard drive to replace the one that failed.My biggest concern was the OS and you answered that question.Thank you again,I appreciate the help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

While you are in there, you may want to consider upgrading the memory to the max of 8 GB by removing the 4 GB memory chip and replacing it with an 8 GB memory chip.  Your notebook only has one memory slot.

This would be a compatible 8 GB memory chip for your notebook.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT8G4SFS824A | Crucial.com

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.