Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ac121tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to clean install Windows 10 on my laptop using a bootable USB. I have selected the custom install and deleted the partitions. However after successful installation when the system restarts, it shows that the Windows 10 is unable to configure the hardware and shuts down. After turning it on, it shows the HP logo and then "Windows faced an unexpected error and will restart" or something like that. Then it restarts on clicking OK or Close button.

Please help. How do i proceed?

I have tried using cmd to run the msoobe.exe, but then a blue screen with "Just a Moment" and a loading circle appears. I have left the system on this the whole night and still there was nothing.

What else may i do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kundanagar 

This issue is often due to a failing drive. So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for replying, @WAWood

I ran the hard drive test and the SMART test passed. However both the long and short DST test failed. I tried running chkdsk r/ from cmd, but the windows doesnt boot up still.

Is there any other way i may yet save the system? I did get a good price for it online as part of an exchange offer.

HP Recommended

@Kundanagar 

I don't know how to answer that question because I don't know what you mean by "save the system".

The drive can no longer be used to run Windows and has to be replaced -- so the new drive will be blank and since Windows will need to be installed fresh, nothing will carry over from your existing system.

If you're asking about doing data recovery -- saving the user data on the old drive -- that is a different issue.

Need to know what you're asking to do.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.